How do u Copy Mac Files from a pc to a Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jimmyjazz101, Jul 5, 2004.

1. jimmyjazz101 macrumors newbie

alright all, i just bought my self an Ibook for a bargin 150 pounds but i was wondering how to transfer files from the pc to the laptop. i no it can be done using and ethernet port but my pc dosent have one. so the only way really is by cd, i tryed burning the files on cd but when i put them in the lbook they would not open. dose anyone have any ideas why this is.....cheers

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Was that the individual files could not open? Or you couldn't read the CD?

There are some files that will need to be translated, stuff like WordPerfect files (which can be done by opening them in AppleWorks).

3. jimmyjazz101 thread starter macrumors newbie

files

it was the files that would not open..i was using nero to burn the files on cd i did notice that u can burn a hybird cd that will run on macs and pc's but it would not let me burn it

4. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

Macs can generally read PC formatted Cds anyway, so hybrid shouldn't be necessary. What files are on the CD? Is it possible that they wont open on the Mac, because they were created in a program that is not on your Mac?

For instance, if you are copying Microsoft Word Documents, they will not open on your Mac, unless you have the Mac version of Word installed. If you are trying to open PC applications, they wont work, since you will need mac applications.

5. jimmyjazz101 thread starter macrumors newbie

files

the files on the cd where mac games and applications downloaded from www.download.com

6. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

Well that is strange. Do you actually see the files on the CD? Or does the CD not even open? Are the files still zipped or stuffit(ed?) from the download, or did you decompress them on the PC already? If still compressed, should be fine. If you decompressed them on the PC, they maybe have lost their resource forks.

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Also if they're compressed files (.zip or .sit, etc...) try right clicking on them and choose open with Stuffit Expander. Panther gets abit confused about compressed documents on my system for some reason, even after 3 fresh OS X installs it wants to open most of them with the wrong kind of application.