How do user titles work?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by smueboy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I know that user titles are based on post counts (i did read the faq), but what do the numbers [6502, 65832, 68000 etc.] mean?

This may be a rather stupid and/or useless question, but i am intriuged to know where they came from or what they refer to.

cheers

2. tvguru macrumors 6502

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The numbers are the processors Apple has used throughout their history, starting with the Motorola 6502 to the 68000 in the original Macintosh to the Intel Core2Duo used today.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The numbers are based on previous processors used in Macs, i.e. the PowerPc chip history. It is apparent if you see Mad Jew as he is a G3, or if you have been using Macs for a while :)

5. smueboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Aaah - thanks!

Looks like it's going to take me forever to work my way up to a decent processor :)

6. smueboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Actually Mad Jews one never occurred to me as his is the only one i'ver ever seen that is not a number (good luck to whoever works his or her way up to a C2D!!). My first mac was a G3, so the other numbers didn't make sense to me. Nice to know.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Best deal is to contribute. You get rid of ads and can pick your title.

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

and gain access to a private forum, but the only titles available are macrumors Demi-God, macrumors Demi-Goddess or Contributor. That is, unless there is some commie game going on ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon contributors might be able to keep their regular user title if they like. I dunno. It seems like the sort of thoughtful rule MacRumors would have. :)

10. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

So how long until Mad Jew is a G4? I'm guessing mid-afternoon :rolleyes:
    BTW, do contributors get a chance to have an avatar before they reach the 500 post mark?

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

When you choose between Demi-God and Demi-Goddess do you have to prove your sex to a moderator? If so, that would explain why it's such a coveted position. :)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope.

Proving one's gender isn't always as easy as it sounds, even for demis.

13. Queso macrumors G4

I can confirm that once you pony up the $25, you can choose between Demi-God(dess), Contributor or keep your processor title. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who does that currently, but I did it myself for a couple of months.

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You also can't get the ad-less front page if you keep your normal user title.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I can think of at least three Contributors who've presently opted to keep their standard title. There could be more. Markleshark correctly states that the ad-less front page feature does not come with that option.

16. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

:rolleyes: it should give you that option... I mean, it's based on the account, right? Is there a reason why this isn't so?

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I assume there's a tick box of some sort that gets turned on when a person becomes a Demi-God(ess) and the only way to restore the person's title to their processor name is to turn off the tick box. If the ad display toggle is linked to that tick box, that would explain it.