How do we deal with Poverty and a shrinking middle class?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mischief, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

A study I linked to a month or so ago (that I can't recall the search string for) made a good case for their only being 2 solutions that actually work over the long term without Enron-like manipulations: Unions and Education.

Link RE Union impact on the workforce: http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/briefingpapers_bp143

Link RE: Education's impact: http://www.simplerwork.com/d/d10.htm

I'll see if I can dredge up that post and re-link.

BTW: Unions got us out of the horrors of the Industrial revolution. If not for Labor Organizations we'd still be a rich/dirt poor country where most of us work 12 or more hours with NO compensation beyond dismal pay. Before the crys of corruption and greed start I just wanted to point that out... and the fact that the nations with the most active unions have the least gap between the workers' living standards and those of the executives.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To me it requires the public to accept higher costs. But reading some post here on Mac Rumors, it seems safe to say that most do not support "living wages". They don't see the value in the work done by those that have the least voice.

3. katchow macrumors 6502

sadly, among many the whole concept is about as mythical as the ozone layer...

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have a point. As long as "they" can afford their H2's and the such; they see no problem. But that is not the "middle class".

We have become a nation of being centered on the needs that we see as being important. Never mind that there are those that worry from paycheck to paycheck, As long as I can afford my SUV and more house than I should have; that is all that matters.

5. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Linguistic twitch: We focus on WANTS and allow our NEEDS to be eroded, become more expensive and generally less perceptively important.

Americans have been tricked into wanting a higher "standard of living" IE: more toys in sacrifice of their "Quality of living" IE: satisfaction, mental and physical health, vacations, bennefits, etc.

6. katchow macrumors 6502

hire more police :)

sorry, i don't really mean that

7. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

I think the policy among Copassionate Conservatives is: Ignore it and hope it goes away.