How do you actually restore your files/settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PkennethV, Feb 12, 2007.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I'm not too sure where to put this because I don't actually have a problem right now but it just came to my mind that we all talk about various programs that we can use to back up and all but how do you actually restore them after having to say, reformatting you drive? Do you just (after reinstalling the OS) drag all the files from one drive to the other? I don' t think this will copy all the files (just like how dragging all files to an external drive will not copy certain files). (As you can tell I'm lucky enough not to have to do this before)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As far as backing up your important stuff, its quite easy as long as you have the backup space. Just drag the entire Home folder (Macintosh HD/Users/Yourusername) over to an external source, such as an external HD. This will backup your address book, bookmarks, documents, music, movies, photos, emails, settings, etc. Then when you want to restore these things you just find the specific file/folder you want and drag it back over. DO NOT drag the entire Home folder back in. You may be reinstalling the problem right back on your Mac. Let the newly created files stay and only replace whats needed (ex. Safari Bookmarks). Keep in mind that this may be a HUGE backup depending on how much music you have and how many movies you have as well.

As far as a program, I use .mac Backup. Its a great app and it has never failed me once. I setup schedules so that it backs up everyday at 6pm to my PowerMac via AirPort Extreme and it will only backup the changed files. It works beautiful for me and is one of the nice things that come with the $99 .mac package. Mac OS X.5 (Leopard) will have an automatic backup program built into it called Time Machine. Its very awesome and if used should save a lot of people from using boxes of tissues from when they lose their personal items.

3. hopejr macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I do.

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, how about if nothing is wrong with you're system but you formatted the drive because of BootCamp or something, is there a way to restore the whole system exactly as it was?

5. hopejr macrumors 6502

Yes, if you have a large enough external hdd. Just use Disk Utility to create an image of the drive. You may need to do it from the installation cd though, because it won't let you do it on the startup disk (it tells you its in use).