How do you attach the included nano dock attachment?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Apple!Freak, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Doesn't it attached to a regular iPod dock? What's the deal?

2. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Isn't there a dock for iPod nano, perhaps you need this before putting it in ts dock or otherwise it may fell over due to its thinness.

5. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

No... the nano adaptor is perfect size. We just have to figure out how it goes in the standard iPod dock.

6. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Nano Dock

I'm not extremely tech savvy- but would the flash drive coupled with the inability to use firewire keep you from attaching to a normal iPod dock (seeing as ipods are hard drives w/ usb/firewire compatibilty)

In any case, the iPod dock is only compatible w/ iPods, as are the nano docks only w/ nanos, etc. Apple has probably found a way to keep people from saving money and using their existing equipment w/ new products.

7. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I'm on with AppleCare support, they don't know what in the hell I'm talking about. He told me to hold on which I'm doing now, so I'll let you guys know what he says.

Another oddity is the fact my serial number wouldn't come up as a vaild serial number.

UPDATE: Maybe this guy is a complete blockhead because he doesn't have a clue what I'm saying. I hold doubts whether this guy even owns an iPod or has even used one for that matter.

On hold once again.

UPDATE 2: What a god damn prick. He tells me he's looking through the manual and sees nothing about an adaptor, and tells me to take it back to the store. After debating with him why should I have to take it back to the store when Apple support is there for these kind of issues, I told him I'm going to my closet to get out the manual and he hangs up on me.

This after I waited 10 minutes to talk with someone!!!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

from apples document:

guess its for use only with accessories. :eek:

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

From what i've read the dock adaptor is there as a preemptive move to allow both Apple and other accessory makers to design a single dock shape. iPods will ship with adaptors to allow them to fit into any dock-enabled accessory. It just helps them cut down on costs involved with making specific dock sizes and shapes.

11. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Well, it works if you remove the cover on your exisiting iPod dock, and then put the nano dock adaptor down and the nano ontop of that (pluging it into the dock). That's how I have mine currently setup and it works (this way using my existing dock), but it obviously looks as though something is out of place simply because all of the docks inards are not covered.

12. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

It looks the the adapter that comes with the Bose SoundDock!

13. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

the 4g ipod dock works fine for the nano. sits up perfectly, syncs, charges, etc. no need for the new nano dock...especially since i don't use the 4g dock for the 4g b/c of the radtech cover on it.

btw - when i told the apple worker at the apple store this afternoon that it's a shame i can't sync with firewire anymore, she said of course you can use firewire. i told her i read that you can't sync with firewire...she said she's been syncing with firewire...that's when i just smiled and walked away. doesn't know what she's talking about.

14. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

When I went in to get mine this afternoon... I literally bumped into a Salesperson who was trying to plug a firewire cable into one...
    I said it wouldn't work, and he replied "yes it will all current Mac's use firewire"... I grinned... took a step back and said" but at least the screen size is great - so you get a nice colour warning - saying you can't"...

he grinned.

Got mine home, charged, songs on, iCal and Address Book sync'd... now all good to go!

15. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Yes it's kind of sad. I know a guy at my local Apple store -- he's pretty nice but he doesn't own a Mac nor an iPod. I mean, I thought there was some requirement like this to working at the Apple store?