how do you change icons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knicksfan58, Jul 31, 2004.

1. knicksfan58 macrumors member

May 6, 2004
    i want to modify the icons on my desktop so i downloaded the 'smoothicons 8' set. i've followed the instructions in trying to change icons of various folders, but to no avail. can someone tell me how to succesfully install these icons?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Open up Preview, press apple+A, that is the command for selecting the whole image, once you have selected the whole image, press apple+c to copy the image. Then go to the folder, or app you want to change click on it once then go to file>get info.

In the upper left corner, you will see the icon, click once on the icon, then press apple+v to past it.

This will change the image.
  3. knicksfan58 thread starter macrumors member

May 6, 2004
    thanks. one more question - can you change the finder icon, because i can't find a 'get info' link from it.
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Candy Bar is the easiest way to cusotmize everything you could possibly want to customize.

But it costs $13. Small change considering I spend more than that on coffee.
  5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok, for the finder (not sure this will work)...
    Go to Mac HD:System:Library:CoreServices
    There is a file called SystemIcons.bundle, if you right-click that and say "Show Package Contents" it will open a new finder window , go to Contents:Resources and find the file FinderIcon.icns

If you replace this file and reboot it should change the icon.... I think.. Remember to make a backup of the file first.
  6. dark_helmet macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2004
    ^-- That'll work --^

But you'll need something to change the file extention to .icns on the new icon you want to use. You can download Iconographer and use that. Just open the new icon you want in Iconographer and make sure you save it as FinderIcon.icns and you'll be good to go.

As Jared said, make sure you backup the original one first (just rename it "FinderIcon1.icns" or something like that) then just drag the new one into that folder. When it asks if you want to replace, click yes.
  7. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2007
    The cesspit of civilization
    I know it's four years later, but now in Leopard, the file is not there anymore... any other suggestion?
  8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    You couldn't have found one of the threads on this that is less than a week old?

Get ShapeShifter/CandyBar/whatever it is.