Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
The frosted white Dock in Mountain Lion is a huge improvement over the ugly grey one, but it no longer uses the "scurve" images for the Dock appearance, so applications like Docker that change the color (and manual modding) don't work.

Has anyone figured out how to change the Dock color in Mountain Lion? I can't find the files that it uses. Hopefully they still use PNGs and not some rendering.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The frosted white Dock in Mountain Lion is a huge improvement over the ugly grey one, but it no longer uses the "scurve" images for the Dock appearance, so applications like Docker that change the color (and manual modding) don't work.

Has anyone figured out how to change the Dock color in Mountain Lion? I can't find the files that it uses. Hopefully they still use PNGs and not some rendering.

There isn't any way to change the Dock in OS X. But you can buy a third-party app called CandyBar. There may be others out there, but this is the one I use.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
There isn't any way to change the Dock in OS X. But you can buy a third-party app called CandyBar. There may be others out there, but this is the one I use.

Does CandyBar work in Mountain Lion? The OP is wondering if any program has updated, or if there is a manual way, to change the dock in Mountain Lion specifically. There is a difference, as previous iterations of OS X used a image file that could be changed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Does CandyBar work in Mountain Lion? The OP is wondering if any program has updated, or if there is a manual way, to change the dock in Mountain Lion specifically. There is a difference, as previous iterations of OS X used a image file that could be changed.

I don't know if it works in ML or not, but I can say that it does work in Lion. They have a trial version of CandyBar so one could download it to ML and see if it works or not before committing to a purchase.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So far as I know, no one has yet come up with a way to change the Dock appearance in Mountain Lion. As you noted, the background isn't created using image files anymore, it's being drawn actively. That means it's going to be a much more significant undertaking to change even the color, much less the overall look. Someone might manage it, but it'll probably take a while, and ML isn't even out yet. I'd give it at least a few months before I'd expect that to be figured out.

jW

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
I don't know if it works in ML or not, but I can say that it does work in Lion. They have a trial version of CandyBar so one could download it to ML and see if it works or not before committing to a purchase.

You can manually change the Dock color in earlier versions of Mac OS X, of course. I used Acorn in sudo mode to make mine black to match the color of my bezel (and also to not have it be ugly and grey).

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
we can change the dock size with placing the cursor on the line next to trash, i like that.

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
what?? lol, i have my air for almost 1 year now, how is that possible I have never not even accidentally put cursor on there, fail.

sauri

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
Candybar updated to 3.3.4 two day ago and now works under ML (3.3.3 didn't work at all), but it doesn't support the new ML dock format and can't change it (everything else works fine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.