Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have the red leather Smart Cover and the outside of it is already darkening around the edges, I imagine from the oils in my hands. This sure seems to have happened in a relative short period of time, considering it's been less than two weeks since it was released (and only a few days left if I decide to return it.). Does anyone else think their leather cover has gotten dirty fast.

Which leads me to my second question. How do you clean the darn thing? Since the color is susceptible to running, I've been reluctant to wipe it with anything wet. But it doesn't seem practical to never wash it. Does one really need to purchase leather cleaner?

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I have the red leather Smart Cover and the outside of it is already darkening around the edges, I imagine from the oils in my hands. This sure seems to have happened in a relative short period of time, considering it's been less than two weeks since it was released (and only a few days left if I decide to return it.). Does anyone else think their leather cover has gotten dirty fast.

Which leads me to my second question. How do you clean the darn thing? Since the color is susceptible to running, I've been reluctant to wipe it with anything wet. But it doesn't seem practical to never wash it. Does one really need to purchase leather cleaner?

I have a Vaja case for my iPad 1 and did a ton of research on a nice leather cleaner and remember finding a few people/posts that pointed to Apple brand leather cleaner (not THE Apple but apparently another company). Its wasn't cheap although there were a few places I could get it locally and it was available on Amazon. I never did order it so I'm afraid I cant do much more than pass align the recollections of my research..

Not to hijack the thread with an entirely different question but I was thinking about purchasing the red leather cover and was curious if it is getting a nice patina "worn leather" look that gives it character or if it's just starting to look dirty/ratty like an old sneaker..?

Any other smart cover owners have thoughts on how their covers are wearing..? Maybe scuff marks and color bleeding looks a little better on the black and tan colors since one might expect more of a "natural" look..?

Whozown

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
It's not must you, I bought the white/cream leather smart cover and ive noticed the same darkening around the edges especially along the bottom. I'm starting to regret getting this color. If you find anything that works well please let me know.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
leather will darken with age/oils/use, sometimes you cant help it. It's a quality of leather as it's patina builds (IMO character builds)

For stains or what not and if you don't want to get your cover wet or use cleaning fluids give Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser a try though. It's been good at getting denim dye out of some leathers

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I'd clean it then spray it with a protector.

That is why I didn't get the light colour. I really wanted the red but I knew it would show oils.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So I used leather cleaner on my smart cover and I could see color coming off onto the cloth. It's red so it was pretty obvious. And one area that darker from hand oil I guess, now looked lighter because I rubbed it harder in that spot. Overall, it was distressing to say the least. I can see myself fretting over any future discoloration. Maybe I don't have the right disposition for the red leather cover.

Solution: I exchanged it for a polyurethane cover that I can keep clean with simple soap and water.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
So I used leather cleaner on my smart cover and I could see color coming off onto the cloth. It's red so it was pretty obvious. And one area that darker from hand oil I guess, now looked lighter because I rubbed it harder in that spot. Overall, it was distressing to say the least. I can see myself fretting over any future discoloration. Maybe I don't have the right disposition for the red leather cover.

Solution: I exchanged it for a polyurethane cover that I can keep clean with simple soap and water.

Fact: leather only looks better with age and wear.

Poly; not so much.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Pledge

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Never touch leather with mr cleans magic eraser....looks like a harmless soft sponge but is the equiv of 3600 sandpaper....we use it a lot in detailing but not on sensitive surfaces

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Yeah I definitely wouldn't use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I remember I tried scrubbing off a black mark on my bedroom wall, and some of the paint from my wall (which i had painted around 6 months prior) ended up scrubbing off with it. It's not just a soft sponge, it's abbrassive.

My gray poly cover is startying to show signs of dirt. The outsides slightly dirty, but I hate how when you fold the cover into a triangle to prop the iPad, the soft clothed side is the side that is exposed to the dirty surface you place it on. Because of this, sections of the cloth have attracted dirt, and Im not sure how to clean it. Also when I place the cover on the iPad and remove it after a while I'll notice that sections of the screen are clean, while the ridges separating the case into 4 sections are visible on the iPad screen since they don't clean the screen.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I posted this before somewhere....for the POLY cover, every auto parts store carries a foaming vinyl and carpet cleaner. It's gentle and will work fine...spray both sides and wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Smartcover backs ordered: marware ,icarbon, xgear, dodo, BSE, Gelaskin

I hope you post a comparison of the different SmartCover backs you've ordered. I'm waiting for the Dodo BookBack. It would be interesting to hear which one you like best.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I pointed out liquid leather in another thread to fix scuff marks on the red cases, its a conditioner and cleaner, perfect for the smart cover, I use it in my bm

Emptypage

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Always test

On the microfiber side there is a bit of leather wrapping around the hinge pin. Test any cleaning or conditioning product there as all such products will change the color a bit especially when wet. Since the cover is a smooth finish any good automotive/luggage leather products should work just do a little test first to be sure you can live with any color change. Lexol covers luggage cleaning on their "solutions" link.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Get thee to the nearest older store keeper with experience in leather products. Shoe repair, tack store, S&M shop, whatever. Show them the smart cover and see what they'd use, and if they have any to sell.

My shoe repair gal suggested cadillac shoe and boot lotion. Cleans, reconditions and protects. Color neutral, but it gave my red a deeper, darker hue and shine.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've got a Navy smart cover coming in today (got it from AAFES for $58.xx, after discount code and tax free!), and this thread has been helpful since I don't own many if any real leather products. Of the things being suggested has anyone actually used one on their smart cover yet and what was the result? The reason I ask for clarification is most people have said what they have used in the past but I don't think I have seen a post where someone has used said product on their smart cover.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
yes - this works well - I have tried it on a tan and and a black cover - avail at any good shoestore

rub it in with your fingers and it dries in 10 min - does not affect color but cleans it...

6a40d11e.jpg

one month old, treated yesterday:
db91ae30.jpg

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Get thee to the nearest older store keeper with experience in leather products. Shoe repair, tack store, S&M shop, whatever. Show them the smart cover and see what they'd use, and if they have any to sell.

My shoe repair gal suggested cadillac shoe and boot lotion. Cleans, reconditions and protects. Color neutral, but it gave my red a deeper, darker hue and shine.

Another happy Cadillac customer here. worked great on one month old black leather cover.

abetancort

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
TheCanaries
The Smart Cover & Case are Made of "Aniline Leather" - Not to be Cleaned at Home.

From The Guys at Liquid Leather:
to test if your bag is made from aniline leather, drop a little drop of water on a hidden flat undamaged surface, if it starts to soak into the leather within 5 seconds, it is Aniline leather, if you want to clean or have it repaired, it needs to go to a professional High Street cleaning company, we do not advise sending it to someone advertising on the net.

The iPad leather Smart Cover & Case are both made of Aniline Leather as per Apple's own Specs. So the solution is easy "no more trying to find the magic DYI cleaning product" and send it once in a while to the Professional Cleaners.

Regards,

abetancort

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Moist towel is safe

For the most part, a moist towel will do the job. Water is a really good solvent for most stuffs.

I recalled reading about leather care is that most people use leather cleaner/protector unnecessarily and ended up with build up on their leather items or strip their leather of the protection it was treated with. The recommendation I recall was to use a moist towel to wipe the leather once in a while. Depend on how the item is used, occasionally use a good leather care like Lexol on it will be sufficient (once a year may be).

I had an iPhone 4 back cover that's made of brown leather. I never cleaned it with anything but a moist towel once. It got this nice patina and many people complimented how good it looked. I upgraded the phone long before the leather cover needed any care.

I got a brown iPad SmartCase. It still looks too new to me. I hope it develops a nice patina before my iPad Air becomes obsolete. I don't think I will worry too much about caring for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.