How do you connect a server to the Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Shrek, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Not that I even need to do this, but I've always wondered about it. How do you turn a server into a web server? I mean, aren't servers already equipped for a direct connection to the Internet or do you have to go through an ISP? :confused: How would you connect an XServe to the Internet, for example?

Arn, you could probably answer this best. :)

2. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

The same way your computer is connected to the internet right now.. but a server is usually connected to a very reliable/highspeed line. You can turn your machine into an easy webserver if you have MacOS X by going into system preferences>sharing>and check the "Personal WebSharing" box. Now you will be able to go to your IP address (can be found under the network in system preferences) in a web browser and an apache website will popup. This website can be acessed by ANYONE in the world with an internet connection, all they have to do is put your IP address into the browser, Apache is extremely powerful web server software that well over 60% of all web servers in the world use. You can replace that default apache website with your own website by going into your hard drive>library>webserver>documents, then delete all the files in there and replace them with your own website. Please be advised that your webserver will only work when booted up and connected to the internet. If you would like to have a domain name such as www.macrumors.com; first you need to register the name with a registrar such as www.godaddy.com and then make a DNS server point to your IP address. You can host your own DNS server and have your registrar point your domain to your DNS server which points your domain to your webserver or use another DNS service. ZoneEdit.com is a free DNS service that can do this for you. If you need anymore info on this stuff please let me know.

Chris

P.S. I did not read over this post :p

3. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

um exactly. and what kind of line? how do you physically connect to it?

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: How do you connect a server to the Internet?

A server vs. webserver is the same thing... the biggest key is how the computer is connected to the internet.

At home, you are generally limited to Modem, Cable Modem, or DSL. All of these are quite limited in the way of "upstream" data... which is what users will be using when they request a page from your webserver.

That's why people pay Hosting Providers for a webhosting account. These companies have high-speed internet connections, and servers connected to them. Often there are multiple users per server.... and you pay for a small piece of a particular server (your account).

If you need more processing power or bandwidth, the next step is to get a "dedicated server" - which simply means you are paying a hosting company to lease an entire server connected to a fast connection. You are the only account on that server... so you have complete control. (This is how MacRumors is hosted).

If you have your own XServe or Dell or whatever you want to use as your server... you can pay a company to "colocate" your server... which means they provide power and a fast internet connection and you provide the server.

arn

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ethernet connections are used to connect to these lines.

arn

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Which in turn is probably either a T1 or T3 line, right?

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Servers

We used to have a G4 500MHz Server at a local I.S.P.

The g4 500 had a pci card with 5 extra ethernet ports. Is it possible to connect more than one internet connection, and have them be like...combined?

8. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Yes, all servers are usually connected via Ethernet. Your Mac should have its own Ethernet port on it if it is newer. An Ethernet port looks like a phone jack but about twice the size; Most DSL/Cable or other home Broadband lines use Ethernet to connect you to the internet; Some even use USB1.1 but I don't think this feature is avalible on the Mac.