how do you copy a dvd-9 to 2 dvd's so its not compressed?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayd, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jayd macrumors member

what i want to do is copy a dvd movie on to my computer which im guessing will probably be maybe around 8 gigs and instead of compressing it to burn on 1 dvd i want to put the first half of the movie on 1 dvd and the second half of the movie on a second dvd. by doing it this way the quality of the movie will be identicle to the original but the only bad thing is the movie will be on 2 dvd's. how do i do this?

2. nordesmic macrumors member

I am not really sure if there is an easy way to do what you want. One possible way would be to split the .vob files so you had four .vob files on each disc. Then you would have to create a new file structure (.ifo, video_ts etc.) based on the four vob files.

I think Sizzle (dvd authoring app.) can create the file structure. Just add the .vob files into the title list. This might add the vob files separately as different titles, which is obviously not what you want. You can use dvd2one to join multiple titles into a continuous stream.

I haven't tried this myself and there is probably an easier work around, but have a mess around with Sizzle and you'll probably be able to get it working.

3. nordesmic macrumors member

I just had a go at it and the procedure works perfectly. Had to use dvd2oneX to seamlessly join the titles created in Sizzle. If you don't understand anything just post again and I'll walk you through it.

4. jayd thread starter macrumors member

nordesmic, thank you so much. i definitely need you to walk me through it because i dont know that much about computers. it will just take me a little while to copy the dvd onto my computer. i will tell you when im done. thanks alot

5. jayd thread starter macrumors member

ok i just copied disk 1 of the 1st season of the sopranos on to my computer. i didn't have a regular movie right now so lets see if we can copy this sopranos disk on to 2 dvd's. i was wondering, can i also use the popcorn program to do this? if i can i would rather use that because after i downloaded the dvd2one program it said it expired in 30 days. this is what it looks like in my folder in case you need to know.
    [​IMG]

6. nordesmic macrumors member

OK here is a way to do which means you won't need dvd2oneX and you can just use free software.

1. Download Sizzle and Mpeg Streamclip

2. Open Mpeg Streamclip. Go to File>open files>shift select the first 3-4 .vob files from the ripped folder. and click open.

3. Then go to file>convert to ts, and save the file. The joining will probably take a few minutes.

4. Open sizzle, go to add title and add the .ts file that you saved in the previous step. You can also create a simple menu system here if you choose. Then select save disc image in the top right corner of the window. This might take a while to create the file structure.

5. Then burn to dvd using Toast or Disk Utility.

6. Repeat for the next set of vob files

7. nordesmic macrumors member

The procedure I've outlined in the previous post is primarily for a regular movie (without extras) but it can be adapted for a tv series. If you want all the Extras and stuff on the DVD you just have to add the titles in Sizzle from the VIDEO_TS folder and the Streamclip step is not necessary. Popcorn is primarily a compression program (as is dvd2one) but I'm not sure if popcorn has a join feature. The Sopranos disc you have is going to be difficult to author.

The compression capability of popcorn and dvd2onex is extremely powerful. On a 42 inch HD plasma I can't tell the difference between a retail and compressed dvd, even if its compressed to half the original size! So if all this seems a bit too much I suggest trying compression on to a single disc.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

If you have a DL burner I'd say just buy some DL DVD+Rs (they go on sale every now and then - 25 discs for $29.99) and everything will be perfect.

The time that would've been spent will definitely be worth the $1+ you spend on the discs.

10. jayd thread starter macrumors member

nordesmic, you said i didn't have to use streamclip for this sopranos dvd right? i dont know whats wrong but im using sizzle and i pressed add tittle. and then added VTS_01_1.VOB file and pressed open. it wont let me select multiple files before i press open so i added the VTS_01_1.VOB file first then i pressed add title again and i selected VTS_01_2.VOB and pressed open. so now there is 2 vob files under the items list. after that i hit save disk image and i start downloading to the desktop and it says its remultiplexing. after its done there is a dmg file there. i open the dmg file and there is a video ts file and a audio ts file that have no files in them. whats going on?
    [​IMG]

11. jayd thread starter macrumors member

live4ever, are those the double sided dvd's ive been hearing about? how many gigs do they hold? do you know a cheap website? right now my laptop can only burn non rewritables. its a - drive. can i have a dl burner installed in my laptop right now? its a 2003 powerbook g4.

12. AvMac macrumors member

AvMac

Jayd, you can go for dual layer DVD+R DL disks that can hold up to 8.5 GB. They are available at a good deal at http://www.tigerdirect.com

You can always go for an external drive which you can connect via firewire.

13. jayd thread starter macrumors member

nordesmic, you said i didn't have to use streamclip for this sopranos dvd right? i dont know whats wrong but im using sizzle and i pressed add tittle. and then added VTS_01_1.VOB file and pressed open. it wont let me select multiple files before i press open so i added the VTS_01_1.VOB file first then i pressed add title again and i selected VTS_01_2.VOB and pressed open. so now there is 2 vob files under the items list. after that i hit save disk image and i start downloading to the desktop and it says its remultiplexing. after its done there is a dmg file there. i open the dmg file and there is a video ts file and a audio ts file that have no files in them. whats going on?

14. jayd thread starter macrumors member