How do you copy a non-traditional CD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by muticere, Dec 23, 2003.

1. muticere macrumors newbie

I want to make backups of my Playstation games. A quick note: that's completely legal. Distributing those copies, or copying someone elses purchased software is illegal. I'm using an iBook, so I only have one CD drive. I imagine it's done using disk copy, but I still havn't gotten the hang of that program. I'm talking PS1 games; CD format. Any elitenment would be good. Thank you!

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that it's not possible to play the games once they are copied without some mod chip. Sorry.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah to play even a legally backuped game you'd need a modchip

4. muticere thread starter macrumors newbie

ehem, that's not what I asked. I already have playing them covered. I can play backed up games, for I have a few that a friend did for me, but I need to learn how to do them for myself. Thank you.

5. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Does toast do the trick? Try saving the disk image of a PS game and then burning it. If that doesn't work, I used an old classic app called ASTARTE CD-Copy 2.0.3e to burn backups of my games

EDIT : I No longer have ASTARTE CD Copy

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

PS1 disks are not a standard CD. It uses what is called subchannel data to indicate the type of disk, region, and so forth. Also, PS1 disks may have a type of encryption called Libcrypt that makes copying impossible, unless you do a 1:1 copy. And as I've looked, I have never seen a 1:1 cd duplicating app for the Mac. All a 1:1 copy means is that the CD is read sector for sector instead of by data. I can only assume that there isn't a Mac program for this because I have heard of no Mac CD that uses a protection that requires a 1:1 copy. You might be able to do it with Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, or Blindwrite and VPC but I haven't tried. My Superdrive burns Alcohol 120% ISOs fine through toast so I assume the hardware is up to it. (Combo drives are better apt to burning protected ISOs which is why I was amazed that my Supadrive could do it easily)

EDIT: CloneCD and Blindwrite use a proprietary cd image format so I suggest Alcohol 120% if you use VPC or a PC w/o a cd burner.

EDITX2: Check out http://www.megagames.com/psx/psx_cdr_cdcopy_toast.shtml

7. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

That ASTARTE CD-Copy 2.0.3e program does a bit for bit copy of a CD, that is what I always used. It was REALLY hard to find, so if you need it give me a PM

EDIT : I No longer have ASTARTE CD Copy

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

9. muticere thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm, I'm really busy getting ready to go to school, so I don't have time to try all these techniques, or use the software I've been given, but thank you all for your help. You've been very helpful.