How Do You Copy Dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alexlai50, Apr 4, 2003.

1. alexlai50 macrumors newbie

YEA HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY COPY DVDS WITH A SUPERDRIVE
    Alex

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

first let's establish the fact that you're backing up dvd's you already own.

3. alexlai50 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its still illegal to do so, whether it be ones you own or not. Thats how the DMCA is written. The only legal way to do it for a DVD you own would be to output the DVD and capture the signal, then rencode it all. anything that actually breaks the encryption is illegal.

Interestingly there is a windows program that works in exactly this way. It captures the output and does not break the encryption at all. Last I heard its still available, so lawsuits haven't shut it down yet. But it is windows only.

5. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

6. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

i just got off the phone with 321studios (the maker of DVDXCOPY) and they said that they will be coming out with a Mac version in the future (hopefully near future)...

I told him to keep in mind that macs are mostly shipping dvd burner equipped, so there is a definite interest in the dvdxcopy, plus mac users are more likely to purchase the software as opposed to pirating it... HE AGREED :D

7. richlen macrumors newbie

8. Fat Tony macrumors member

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well you have one very big problem. dvds apple uses are dvd r 5's. rought 5gb. movies come on dvd r 9's, roughly 9gb. so unless you wanna have 2 dvd's for every one you burn thats what you are gonna have to do. you cannot buy dvdr9's, because they are manufactured with the movie last time i checked. by time you do all this and using 2 dvd's, might as well go to the store and buy it.

iJon

10. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

actually... if you have DVDXCOPY on a pc it compresses a dvd to 4.7 gb, and most people cannot tell the difference.

blank dvds cost me 2 bucks a piece, and thats Canadian, so it is worth it :D

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what about menus, special features and all that stuff, 5.1 surround sound? last time i checked
    321 studios its split the dvd's.

iJon

12. alexlai50 thread starter macrumors newbie

any way cheers eveyrone telll me when dvdcopy x is out plz
    cheers
    alex

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Although it doesn't compress DVDs larger than 4.7GB, DVDBackup works great. Complete copy with menus and everything, and you can open the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with the Apple DVD Player.

irmongoose

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the thing is that barely any movies anymore come on a dvdr5, if any at all. but if the ones he wants to back up are dvdr5's then he is good to go.

iJon

15. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah so what I did was bought a 120GB external drive... don't have to worry about disk space now! I just keep all the VIDEO_TS folders as is now. :D

irmongoose

16. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What i would like to do is copy elements of a DVD onto VCD or Divx or something so that i don't need the disc when playing the movie.

Of course i wouldn't want to pirate these files either.

I have Futurama DVD's and would like the seperate episodes to view whenever i would like.

Any help?

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

check out a program called forty-two. you can get it at versiontracker.com

iJon

18. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i have successfully copied a commercial dvd (minority report) using discomVOBulatorPlus1.0.2

you go to the forty-two website and download the disco program. just follow the instructions. it is easier than i ever thought. the only problem i see is you use two discs ($6) and it takes your time and effort ($?), and some dvds are about $14. is it really worth the time, effort, money, and inconvience of putting a 7.2 gig movie on 2 discs? still, it is cool that it can be done

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i know, exactly what i have been saying this thread. just not worth the time to me. i would rather have a pretty shiny disc and not a verbatim disc with sharpie saying disc 1 and 2, but thats just me.

iJon