How do you correct poor posture?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ecblues, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ecblues macrumors newbie

To the fitness-minded community:
    I've lately been annoyed with my forward hunched stoop which in reality shows how pathetic I am but unfortunately expected for an unathletic couch potato like me...

1. Any fitness tips for correcting posture?
    and 2. My neck looks exactly like an inverted triangle pointing down, so any specific routines to help me here to build some neck-shoulder muscles?

I understand improvement takes time, and being a couch potato, time is all I got

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

walk around with a book on your noggin' - they do it in the movies :rolleyes: ;)

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

See a (good, not snake-oil-selling) chiropractor and have your spine aligned. As you slump, it'll hurt, and you'll therefore have incentive not to do so.

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

When you walk along, try to make you neck as long as possible, imagine there is a string tugging it upwards.

6. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

7. fuzzwud macrumors regular

i can't really tell you how to improve your posture, but I know how you can strengthen your neck muscles. I have a constant neck soreness and pain. I saw a chiropractor and physical therapist. If you buy a medicine exercise ball (choose one that is slightly larger than your head), you can work your neck.

Take the ball and place on your forehead while pressing against the wall. Push your head into the ball 10 times for 5 seconds each time, and do 3 sets. After this, then do your left, right, and back side.

8. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Stop sitting on the couch/sofa, get a straight-backed chair instead.

It'll take a week or so to get used to it, but it can be surprisingly comfortable, and is way cheaper than seeing a chiropractor!

I actually prefer straight-backed chairs!

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

When you walk around, try to look above peoples heads. I always tend to stare at the ground, and that can cause you to hunch over, but if you look up, you'll naturally stand straighter.

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

it's all in how you walk and sit, my back was hurting last week actually and then i began sitting up straight, and that helped big time. as far as walking i always walk with my chest out and head up, hand to the side not in pockets, may look cocky, and this and that, but it's good for you.

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

wide grip lat pulls downs ... or chin ups if you are strong enough

rear deltoid raises

seated rows

these will strengthen the shoulders and back muscles, and most importantly the muscles responsible for your posture --- MOST posture problems are soft tissue related and can be corrected because those tissues (muscles) are weak

also imbalance in muscle strength can cause poor posture ... i good personal trainer should will be able to put you on an exercise program that will develop all the muscles evenly

i do 50 push ups ( 20, 20 , 10 ) every two days and 30 chin ups ( 10, 10, 10) every other day when i can't get into the gym

these are some of the best exercises because they use your body weight as resistence so the possibility of injury is lowered

good luck man

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

best way? imo is to make a conscious effort to change your posture, sit straighter, wall tall, and this will naturally help out your posture

if you feel the need you can find a good Chiroprator if you want, but if its not too severe i would think its not needed

good luck and just remember its not going to change over night

PS buying a straight backed chair for when you are watching tv or at the computer would definately help you out

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dunno much about backs, but if you want to know something about centre of gravity, wear your backpack on your front side. Don't wear it on your back like everyone else. If you wear it on your back, you slouch forward to shift your centre of gravity. If you wear it on your front side, you lean back.

I'm a Physics major. Cool, eh? :cool:

(NOT! :( )

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sit proper you must. For poor posture leads to discomfort. Discomfort leads to pain. Pain leads to death!!

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

surround yourself with mirrors. The more you see yourself the more you'll be reminded.

16. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

A few suggestions, that will also improve your day to day life and reduce "back problems" in the future (most "Back Problems" turn out to be pulled / straigned muscles in the lower back that are weak and rarely used).

Start off light, and easy. 10-20 situps, whatever you can do. Don't push yourself, things will improve with time.

If you have an inverted bench, reverse situps are good for the lower back.

Shoulder shrugs (take a weight, whatever you are comfortable with- I suggest 25-30 pounds to start, you may need less, I started there, but I am naturally pretty muscular) and let them hang in your hands, with your arms straight by your side. Now, lift them, but using your "shoulders" lifting straight up, but not moving your arms. Do 10-15 reps, then rest. Repeat, rinse, dry :p This is great for building the Muscles leading to the neck.

Lifting can be dangerous, but mostly only if you start out with too much weight. The key is good form. I go to the gym and often see people completely wasting their time by "swinging the weights", or just dropping them on the downside of a motion. Make each motion controlled, and deliberate, and LOWER the weight on the drop side, dont let gravity just pull it down. You get a much more thorough workout, and better muscle control.

If you want any other tips, pointers, email me, I started out a dough boy myself, and have learned alot i can share over the last few years.

Bill

17. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Find out about the Alexander Technique. Sort of a combo between pilates and yoga. The Egoscue Method isn't a bad book either.

Good posture is more than just holding your head up right. It's worth your time to find out how to improve your posture.

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'd highly recommend some yoga. do what you can. just knowing about posture is a good place to start, and how to achieve that good posture, well, yoga is a very good avenue to explore.

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It is hard to avoid the negative effects of sitting on our posture. Human beings are upright species, but you wouldn't know it from looking at workers leaving an office building at 5:00 P.M. all slumped forward. Ideal posture is vertical but as a result of prolonged, constrained sitting postures the following changes occur:

• Upper back round forward
    • Shoulders become shrugged
    • Head pushes forward
    • Chin pokes
    • Chest breathing predominates over belly breathing
    [​IMG]

Alois Brügger, a Swiss neurologist, realized that many ailments of the modern worker were secondary to poor posture. Headaches, TMJ pain, rotator cuff syndromes, carpal tunnel syndrome to name just a few. He developed a very simple exercise to activate the muscles weakened from sitting and simultaneously stretch those tightened by this posture.

While sitting in your chair follow these simple steps:
    • Perch at the edge of your chair
    • Turn your feet out slightly
    • Have your feet be slightly farther apart than your hips
    • Tuck your chin in slightly as if nodding "yes"
    • Breath into your tummy
    • Slowly exhale actively by blowing the breath out through your lips
    [​IMG]
    This can be performed once or twice for every 20-30 minutes of prolonged sitting.

20. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

You allready got quite a lot advice, now here's a supplementary one - spend more time with your mum... she'll remind you!!

A

21. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I'll put on my steel-toe boots and come over your house and give you a good swift kick in the anus.
    Straighten you right up.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

too much advice, but i'll go ahead and add mine:

no chiropractors! ... they have no idea what it is they do (just ask one) and it is addictive to the body.

stretch! ... stretch first thing in the morning and at times throughout the day when needed.

build your confidence! ... wanting to do something about posture is a good first step. if you feel good about your self you will hold youslf that way. only a constant conscious effort will make the necessary changes to yourself. remind yourself to take full breaths (don't hyper ventilate though :p) and floss your teeth! (blood flow to the head is always good).

good posture can lead to many good things. :)

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Try to getting into the habit of reminding yourself to sit up straight. I can still remember my parent telling to to sit up straight.

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you work at a desk often and your office allows it, try sitting on exercise balls. You know the ones. It forces you to sit straight and it strengthens your leg and back muscles.

25. neut macrumors 68000

neut

yeah, those balls can really help an achy lower back.

*my friends mom had such bad posture some of the vertebrae in her neck fused together!!! :eek:

peace | neut