How do you create custom icons for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeneR, Mar 5, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I just downloaded ICONOGRAPHER, from (if I remember correctly, either Versiontracker or CNET's download.com)... However, when I read through the tutorial I have noticed that it mentions that icons often come with a mask layer to help instruct which part of the square 128 pixel by 128 pixel would be transparent so the background can be seen.

Now, when it comes to customizing icons I'm used to simply going into the FILE>INFO section in OS9 and cutting and pasting from one file to another. But in OSX if I do that with FILE>SHOW INFO, I have noticed that the transparent parts of the icon itself becomes white when pasted into the new icon.

I'm figuring at this point that there has to be a better way, but I simply don't know how. If anyone would mind explaining how one goes about doing this, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

:D

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I have run into this problem too, I use Photoshop to make the icon, on a transparent background layer. Then I used IconComposer (comes on the Dev Tools CD), dragged the file to all the icon fields, then saved the finished icon.

This should work.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Is there another way of doing this without the Dev Tools such as a shareware program. This doesn't seem to work for me with either Photoshop Elements or Graphic Converter.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Anyone? In OS9 I could just select the portion of the image I wanted and copy and paste it onto the icon and voíla everything outside of the selection was transparent.

I can't seem to find a way to apply the icon from the IconComposer program to a folder icon and have it retain the transparency.