How do you delete something in OS X without pressing the Apple key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nylon, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I can't stand that I have to press 2 keys to delete something of the desktop or otherwise. Please help.

Thanks

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Drag it to the trash. You can also select multiple items and drop them all into the trash at the same time.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Drag it to the trash? Or you could use ctrl click and select "move to trash". cmd + delete seems the easiest to me.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Control-click still requires a couple of fingers. But if you use a two-button mouse, you can use right-click -> Move to Trash, which is even easier.

And if that's not good enough, use the Keyboard & Mouse pane in System Preferences and assign another keyboard shortcut for the Finder's File->Delete menu choice.

6. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm using a MacBook so I'm not using an external mouse or keyboard.

I tried to assign another shortcut to the for File->Delete command, I want to use the 'delete' key. However, it won't let me do that (I get that 'bing' sound). What gives.

Also what the hell is wrong with just hitting delete and having the item move to the trash.

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think this would cause a lot of things being moved to the trash by accident. Sure they can be retrieved easily enough, but I personally would find it extremely annoying. I don't see what the big problem is, most shortcuts involve two or more keys...

8. dylan macrumors 6502

You actually can't set it for the Delete key because it would be invoked when you are deleting text... Makes sense doesn't it? Try other keys.

Also the command is "Move to Trash". Make sure you pick Finder as the application. It is in /system/core services.

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Mac's tend to be smart about potentially dangerous key combinations. For example, to say "Don't Save" you must press apple+D, while for "Save" you can just press S or return.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Either way, they're not as haphazard as using a single delete key on Windows, thankfully. I guess that's why, even if you tell it to not warn you when emptying the Recycle Bin, it warns you that you're about to empty the Recycle Bin.

Besides, how many times have we had a thread here: I accidentally deleted iTunes or I accidentally deleted System Preferences? If it's that easy with two keys, how easy is it with one?

Another way to do it is to use Speakable Items.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Launch Terminal

Type 'rm -f /path/to/your/file' <return>

No apple key required! :eek: :eek: :D

12. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Is there somewhere a complete list for the shortcuts in this kind of closing safety dialog? I figured out that return will usually give me the blue colored button, while escape usually means cancel. Some dialogs also present other options, which would be nice to be accessable via the keyboard. I did some searching on this topic, but never found a list explaining more shortcuts.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's supposed to be the first letter of the button plus return/enter and escape where there are default and cancel buttons.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In Word 2004, all I have to do is press "D" when the dialog box comes up to not save the document.

Similarly, I only have to press "delete" in order to delete messages in Mail, which is odd because it's still listed as Command-delete in the menu. This happened along about 10.4.2 I'd estimate...prior to that I did have to use Command-delete, which annoyed me a little bit after having spent ten years using Eudora. Does this happen to others or did my prefs get messed up at some point?

15. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Personally, I love knowing gobs of keyboard short cuts. (Not that delete from desktop is too advanced..:rolleyes:..)It makes me feel like I know more stuff to do on computers than other people. :eek:
    Anyways, I don't think it's such a huge deal to press 2 buttons. It's not too ultra-strenuous. :)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:eek: :D

I like it. :eek:

Mmmm, if you really want a single key, and you're trying to re-assign the global shortcut in sys prefs, try assigning it to a function key. You can't assign it to the delete key by itself for the same reason you can't assign it to the "d" key by itself: it already has a function. But since OS X doesn't really use the function keys, you might be able to do that. Getting used to apple-delete is probably your best bet, though.

And channel your anger towards better goals, like breaking a stack of bricks with your fist. Because that's a great party trick. :eek: :eek: :D

17. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I know since Tiger you can set it up, that you can use the tab key to tab from option to option and push the selected button with the space key, but a direct short cut is much more efficient.

18. Project macrumors 68020

I prefer the way it is - 2 buttons to delete a file in Finder. Minimises the chances of deleting something by accident.

19. tonyl macrumors 6502

Right, you can use shortcut keys.