How Do You Disable The "Other" Account?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niggiebro, Sep 18, 2006.

1. niggiebro macrumors member

Aug 4, 2003
    City of Angels
    Question regarding the "Other Accounts" under System Preferences > Accounts, can you remove it? FYI, when I login off as Administrator there are 2 options or User Account listed, the Administrator account and the "Other" account.

It was't there before I had removed the Administrator's Password. FYI, I had changed the "System Administrator (Root)" account password with a blank one.

After that I had noticed that "Other" account in the login list.

Can this be fixed???

Thanks ALL!!!
  2. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    Open up NetInfo Manager
    Unlock it
    Click security in the menubar
    click disable root user
  3. Fio22 macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2011
    I have the same problem (an "Other" account suddenly appears and does not show up in the normal "Accounts" list). It requires a username and a password, which I obviously don't know (being the only admin of this MacBook)!

I searched for answer on different forums and tried to disable a "root user". The problem is, once I got where I can enable or disable root users, it asks me to enable one :eek: In other words, it says there is nothing to disable. Now I'm really confused and concerned about a hacker attack.

Trying to think what stupid thing I have done recently to let it happen, I can only think of a recent attempt to install a certain something called "Samba".

Now don't laugh at me, that software was advertised on a page which was all about the samba dance which is my passion and seemed to be a necessary plugin to view videos. Only after I installed it half way through, I found out it has nothing to do with samba and is trying to access my directories. Ok, got rid of it immediately. But after restart, the "Other" account icon appears in the login window and I don't know ho to get rid of it.

Any ideas?
    My system is OS X 10.5.8.