How do you do you're To-Do List?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Feb 13, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

man, that's hard to say fast :eek:

anyways, i'm looking for more ideas on To-Do lists on my mac. i know of stickies, and the to-do lists in iCal, but i need help staying organized and stuff

thanks

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I use http://hiveminder.com/ when I've got a lot on. It's handy being web based in that it can be accessed from anywhere. It will export to iCal as well.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I dont really, I can normally remember.

Sometimes though I use stickys on Dashboard.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

funny you should post this now, as i am right in the midst of getting myself on the Getting Things Done (GTD) gravy-train to organize myself. i am picking up my Blackberry tonight and plan on doing a combo of iCal/address Book/stickies/whatever with paper files and the blackberry.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that seems kinda interesting.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Palms and things like it last me about a month, then i cease to use them for planning. I tend to just keep a mental list of what needs to be done, i take notes on the details but the master list is all up there *knocks on noggin*

Ed

7. shecky Guest

shecky

i have been thinking about doing GTD for a long time, but i am starting to get very tense about stuff slipping thru the cracks as i get more and more busy, and while i do not think i will be a religious devotee of the GTD Cult i think that the basic ideas and methodologies make a hell of a lot of sense. a lot of it is just logical common sense but explained in a way that puts all the pieces together.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well right now i use iCal, and i also use stickies that float, but not so sure that i like that too much. we'll see

basically i use iCal for to-do lists with assignments and stuff way in the future, and stickies for more things like this week that i need to do for each class.

think this is a good idea? the main problem is staying consistent

9. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I have my own system for to-dos, based very much on the GTD system. What I do is I use a system of emails to send myself reminders. I have a gmail account devoted solely to GTD, and I can send myself To-dos from anywhere where I have access to the internet due to gmail's excellent online interface. I use a combination of Mailtags and Mail Act-On to process everything on my home computer. Mailtags and Mail Act-On provide a fast way to quickly tag my To-Dos, putting them in catagories such as things I can do "@home", or "@campus", or "@phone". I then use smart folders set to search for these tags. As a result I have very useful, self updating folders for everything I can be doing at home, or all the phone calls I need to make etc.

My system works well, although, it can be a little buggy. Mailtags crashes mail on occasion. You could say I'm looking forward to Leopard and the built in To-Do functions. :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I use the to-do list in iCal -- it's very simple to use, sits right next to my calendar, and synchs to my Palm quite nicely.

BTW, the possessive form of "you" is "your." The contraction you used in the subject line is "you are." That's very ungrammatical. ;)

11. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I've tried similar things and have resorted to the old-fashioned paper organiser - i find it easier to be consistent with adding To-Do's and updating then and reading them each day.

Important things that i need reminder for i still use iCal.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i should use my computer to help organize myself...i helped many others in that capacity being a computer techie pt for 7 years, especially senior citizens

mostly i keep the schedules on a paper calendar for short term things like appointments and events

for long range goals and deadlines, i use the inside door of my closet

he he....i know, it's really quite high tech :)

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Same here. Stickies and Dashboard and all. That's all I really use Dashboard for, Stickies and the calendar widget.

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

All in the mind baby. Sometimes I put random thoughts on stickies, that's about it. If I make to do lists, I never finish whatever is on it anyways.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might like to have a look at this program, which goes along with OmniOutliner. It's based on the GTD system. Seems interesting to me.

Have a look.

16. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

dashboard stickies are all i need... oh and does any one ever use those desktop stickies??????

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I use iCal and the stickes in Dashboard, except for stuff like my grocery list and daily errands, which I still write out on a small pad of paper. I also use the iCal Events widget to help me out a little.

Like you said yourself, consistency is the key factor.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Another for dashboard stickies as well. I'm looking forward to using Leopards To-Do's.

19. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I generally avoid getting things done and just read MacRumors.

:eek:

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

21. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Pretty nice widget, I installed it and also just found this one which allows you to view/edit iCal ToDo's:

http://www.bluehenley.com/products/dobedo/

Still figuring a few things out with it, but it seems very nice so far.

22. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Overview
    Overview version 1.0 (0.9.6)

Copyright 2003 Realmac Software.

23. iRachel macrumors 6502a

My desk has a bookshelf on it, and the shelf is basically at eye level, so I often find myself attaching post-it notes to it.

I also use iCal.

24. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I downloaded a few different to do list apps to try out, and I really like this one called ToDo X:
    http://www.nomicro.com/Products/ToDo/index.html

It lets you set up categories, and have to do items related to those:

[​IMG]

(don't worry, there's a preference to get rid of that ugly background ;) )

and what I really like about it is that it places an icon in your menu bar that you can pull down, to get a quick look at what's in your task list:

[​IMG]

Much better than the simple to do panel in iCal...

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

back when i was the user "jefhatfield", i was self employed and made my own hours, so i spent a lot of time here and made 8,000+ posts since 2000

now i don't post, or even lurk as much

i kinda miss alphatech, wdlove, and others