How do you enable Clamshell mode?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chef Medeski, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Got a powerbook. Started it. Enjoying it. Hooked up the second screen. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. But this measly 12" is doing little good and I want to use the room for a book. Plus, it looks better closed. Yet, I can't seem to figure out how to get it work in Clamshell mode. I closed the screen and it went to sleep. I couldn't find a option or anything in the displays menu. So, help..... I need to read supposedly.

2. lorkp macrumors member

connect the keyboard, monitor and mouse. After connecting these devices, put the computer to sleep. Close the lid. Click the mouse or click a key and the computer will spring to life.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Attach an external mouse and keyboard to your PB. Close your PB (put it to sleep). Wake it up by touchng mouse or keyboard (you need to adjust Systm Preferences so that Mouse/Keyboard can wake up the machine). Afer that, you can keep the lid shut or you can open it (your PB's screen is off). If you download the update and need the re-boot, you can just let PB restart and it will start in the clam shell mode.

4. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Really wow!
    Thats cool. Ohh yeah I just enable letting Bluetooh devices turn on my computer, so I should be good to go. Thanks alot guys.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's amazing Microsoft hasnt figured out how to do this yet.

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

so you can do "clamshell" with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? that's cool, i thought you could only do it with USB.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's because it's more of a hardware thing than a software thing. MS doesn't make laptops. My mom's IBM laptop from work (pentium II 266MHz) allows you to close the lid and use it with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.