How do you export 24-bit audio from FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Poeben, May 9, 2006.

1. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    I cannot seem to figure out how to export mono 24-bit audio from final cut pro (4.5). I tried Audio to AIFF... and tried exporting via Compressor. Either I only get to choose between 8-bit and 16-bit or it ends up as a stereo file. Any ideas?
  2. Nutter macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2005
    London, England
    Control-click on the sequence you're using for the audio, and select "Settings". You'll then be able to set the bit depth and stereo/mono for the sequence. Then just export the sequence -- you won't have to change the settings in the export window.
  3. Poeben thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    Thanks, I didn't really know that. What I was trying to do was this:

I have a stereo mix (16-bit/48k) and a 5.1 mix (6 ch. 24bit/48k) that I synced to video in FCP, then edited the video/audio together. When that was done I wanted to export each audio track as a mono file for AC3 encoding. What I ended up doing was exporting 3 tracks at a time to an OMF file (2GB limit) and dealing with it in Digital Performer. I will try your suggestion next time. It would be great if you could just bounce to individual files.
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Wouldn't it be easier to edit to the stereo track, export a 320x188 .mov to DP then edit the 5.1 to the edited video, then bounce as per normal?

I do this in ProTools fairly often, saves all the hassle of trying to deal with 5.1 in FCP.
  5. 3dit3r macrumors member

Nov 18, 2005
    It's quite simple.

1) Export > Using Quicktime Conversion
    2) Choose your format (AIFF, WAVE, etc.)
    3) Select Options
    4) Change Channels to Mono, Set Sample Size to 24 bits
    5) Save.

That's it!