How do you feel about Apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 30, 2002.

?

What do you think of Apple Future

1. WhooHoo - Apple's going to blow all the competition away

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Ah, it won't do any better than it is now or worse

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. It will do better than today, but never corner the market

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Who cares.....

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All this talk on the threads and it seems to be mostly negative - so I was curious - are you optimistic/pessimistic/or apathetic towards Apple future?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I as soon as a G5 or G4 1.4 ghz + comes out the moods will change.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, now that's a good point. But I'm still interested in seeing what people think now. I'm sort of optimistic myself.

D

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm optimistic, I think a new device of the same class as the ipod, when released, give apple more kudos.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i chose whoohoo... but i think i'm a bit less enthusiastic, though generally positive....

i'd tend to think "as long as they come out with something pretty big, pretty soon, which i think they will, they will continue to do great things..."

but we'll have to wait and see..

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I don't think who cares is going to get many responses on this site.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I had to put it in, and you never know, someone might, if they use Macs for work and don't have any other 'feelings' towards the thing other than it being a machine and tool they have to use. But then those types of people probably are a rare individual around here......

D

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I chose woohoo also, but I really somewhere in between the first two choices.

I don't think Apple will blow away ALL the competition, but they will certainly improve their position.

9. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I'm overly optimistic and prayerful about Apple. Hey, who says no one can set Apple's goals high? The higher the better, baby!

YEAH BABY YEAH!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I can't pick any of them. I think they are doing fairly well. Their OS is pretty strong now, but the hardware is kind of weak. Pre OS X was Okay, but can't compare to OS X. The power and stability is amazing. I want a dual processor desktop machine that I can run a seti process on each processor and be able to compress video in real time or faster. I don't want Pentium 4 power, I want SGI and SUN power on my desktop. I want to take the Unix core and have the most incredible workstation available.

Do you remember when PC's and Macs where "Personal Computers" and Silicon Graphics made "Workstations" super powerful machines. I want to see triple the current power of the desktop for less then %150 of the current price.

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I cant vote because I cant go with the top two...I feel inbetween.

Pre-MWNY I would have gone with Woo Hoo, and Im not at the "theyll stay the same" level yet....but Apple screwed up...they had lots of good momentum and press going since November and ruined it with MWNY....

so unless the new towers kick a lot of ass....I dont know/....but Im inbetween

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I really like what Apple is doing with the operating system. I'm not so certain about the iApplications though.

My favourite thing is the banishment of MultiFinder after so many years, and therefore, the banishment of manual memory allocation (outside of Classic).

Having been on various operating systems such as OS/400 (which is #1 in stability), UNIX stability didn't sound too good (kernel panics etc.) but considering Mac OS 9.x and Win9x, reality wins and Apple has done better than average for UNIX. This probably relates to the fact that it's based on BSD and not System V.

13. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

apple up

I can't vote with those options. Apple is a underdog with a small market share. They will never "blow-away" the compition but they certanly will biatch slap them.

Apple is a great company and they have always been the leader in personal computer inovations. They seem to have an endless bag of tricks. They will continue to wow me for years to come. I don't know why some of you are so down on Apple right now. G5's swiming in your heads or something. Apple has not lagged behind infact they are still leading in many ways. The Xserver even tossed some Some very expensive Sun Servers (280R). There is lots more on the way. I have been posting on the site for a long time now and I love to watch the MacHead reactions. When Apple blows us away with something new, there is always some one that gets mad and says "Thanks Apple, for making my Mac obsolete". Bitter. Then when Apple has not done a "one more thing" in a while... every one looses all fath and thinks the world will end if Apple dose not envent the waterpowered flying car.

I see things to come....

Apple grabs eMagic and other pro adio co's... Probably going to re-invent the Desktop studio.

New digital life style devices and portables ... with style. Geeks on the go that look more like Neo then Bill Gates.

Take a run on EDU... Centralized computing, Online classes and student information, improved wireless Technolgy, new apps for education.

UNIX.... take a slice of the server world with the more secure UNIX built OS X while improving the interface even more. Taking the yuk! out of Linux.

Steddy incamental upgrads accross the bord.

More consumer and pro Level iApplications that Make our lives better and our Macs more stable.

and one more thing.... the flying car powered by water, my own fealing of self satisfaction, and the G5.

-evildead

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm specting a nice enclosure with nothing inside, like a stereotype hot blond.

I will be very upset if Apple fool us around with a nice enclosure only.

Just the fact of looking at the pictures of the new enclosures (trust me there is not such thing as a "leak") is making me suspect thet Apples is calling our attention so we won't talk about of what really is going on.

15. neilt macrumors regular

I feel Apple will definetly do better than they are today, but I seriously doubt they will ever be able to corner the market.

I thing that Steve's goal of doubling the current marketshare is an achievable goal. OS X will keep Apple in the game and if they can start to deliver hardware that can truly compete (faster procs and bus) they will be in a good position to begin to regain the marketshare they once enjoyed.

neilt

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: How do you feel about Apple?

i am cautiously optimistic and just hope apple can keep five or six percent of the market in this economic downturn

we will see 2 ghz, but not anytime soon and by the time we catch up in speed in real terms with the pc, speed won't really matter...features will and this is to our advantage

17. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i think the most effective method for apple to increase marketshare is to break down stereotypes. many here "mac" and think negative things. this is why you see the "switch" campaign, the "megahertz myth" site, etc.

I take every chance i get to show peeps my ibook and what it can do. that does more than a 15% boost in processor speed will to make someone switch (consumer only, of course)

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Somewhere between Whohoo and better then today. I think that in the future Apple will do well but no OS will be able to corner the market. We may see a balance between Mac ,Linux and Windoze.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think most of us can agree...

Love the OS, but speed it up. Or give us better hardware. Good enough is no longer good enough. If we're going to pay that much, we don't want to be paying for style alone. Although the asthetics are a nice touch. But it's what's inside that should matter. Alltogether, beautiful machines. Just up the specs. Time is $$$.

Software is great. Not just OS X, but iApps, and FCP. Why edit on anything else (unless you need raw speed more than reliability, or other specialty features not available on Macs)? Ease of use is a plus too. And still fully configurable for us geeks.

BUT.

There have been a few things that Apple the company has done lately that have seriously p*ssed off it's loyal customers.

Like no OS upgrade pricing. Anyway you slice it, paying the same for an upgrade as for the full version is just plain dumb, from a business perspective at least. Especially if you just bought a Mac a few months ago. Way to win converts. No wonder people wait until after expos to buy anything. At least they're allowing xServe owners to update to OS X.2 Server for less than the full $999 now. People will pay, but very grudgingly.

Who will want to upgrade unless they buy a new computer? But maybe that's the idea.

And the whole .Mac thing. Just a bad idea. Sure, charge for the full featured version, but offer choices. 5 MB e-mail accounts for $10 or $20. or 2 MB accounts for free. It's just good faith. A lot of people feel taken. And again, some people will pay, but they won't like it. If we wanted to be ****ed around, we'd be with M$.

People expect more from Apple. And yes they are a business. But what business thrives on p*ssing off it's most loyal users? Especially while trying to woo new users.

Then again, M$ seems to be doing pretty well. For now...

We're waiting Apple, give us something good (saying this with $$$ in hand). It's my money, I can b*tch all I want.

20. iGav macrumors G3

I'm super-hyper optimistic about Apple's future......... :)

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll say that Apple will continue to improve, especially with the rumors of Apple + AMD to make faster chips and stuff. (Apple could still use Motorola for the slower chips.) And I will also say that speed is useless if you can't get applications to run right on them, in a variation of bigevil's little essay.

It's obvious to see that people just want the fastest out there. So people go to peecees because the processor is followed by a 2 or 3, then the abrv. "GHz". These people feel that they will have the power behind them, because they have computers with the fastest processor. But little do these people realize that speed is in fact useless when the computer you are using with that chip cannot get a simple chore done, whether it's opening an application, or using programs developed for software for the peecee. However, on a Mac, you have the opposite. You get the most effeciency out of your processor to perform actions successfully your peecee couldn't do. And only in this situation would speed be of importance.

I think that if Apple does continue to improve their OS and get chips that can continue to get the job done Apple may win over many peecee users.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's amazing how little difference there is from a pc running word at 333 mhz and the pc running it at 2ghz

when a mac gets a speed bump, we can actually feel it everywhere...when we hit 2 ghz, the world will notice...when pcs hit that mark, people were jaded because they knew it meant little in terms of actual performance boost

benchmarks don't tell the whole story

23. coolocity macrumors regular

Glad to see that the anti .Mac "I hate Apple" post Macworld crowd are at least starting to lighten up a bit. I'm sure Apple's success will continue when they start bumping the speeds on some of these computers. At least I hope so :rolleyes:

24. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

As I've stated on other postings, it seems quite obvious that Apple is improvising just a bit lately due to poor timing. Jaguar ahead of shedule, but new PowerMacs still not shipping. Cool Shake but no super-platform to run it on. Switch campaign but nothing worth switching for. The software guys and marketing dept. are delivering the goods and the hardware dept. is way behind the curve–either that, or Motorola is truly screwing things up as much as many posters here believe. Where, oh where is the mythical G5? Quad G4s? Or even just DDR RAM and faster bus speeds, fer cryin' out loud?!

I bet Jobs had no intention of charging full pop for Jaguar or or extorting a fee for .Mac users, but due to a lack of new faster PM CPUs to sell (due to hardware production hang-ups we can only guess at) they had to do something to keep revenue channels flowing.

MWNY was a lot of "shuckin' 'n' jivin'" in my opinion–buying time before the next big bombs unload, in the form of vastly improved higher-end hardware. They've already lost a lot of momentum with these delays. I'm sure Steve is screaming red-faced at the engineering dept. daily to get the new PMs shipping YESTERDAY. He can only stall and bedazzle the masses for so long before they wander off and buy Dells and Vaios. No doubt he would have LOVED to make an announcement at MWNY, even for the placing of advanced PM orders a la XServe, but he was left high and dry. Imagine an aide breaking the news 10 minutes before his keynote:

"Nothing's ready, Steve... so we have new plan: just tell 'em how great Jaguar is!...but make sure to duck when you tell them they'll be paying full pop for it... and explain the glorious, seamless integration and new services with .Mac!... but watch for the tomatoes when you tell them this promised free service will no longer be free... Dazzle them with a new widescreen iMac!... with the 100 mhz system bus from the dark ages... Have a good show, sir..."

I hope Apple slips down just a bit further. I'll buy some shares. Because once the hardware catches up, Apple is going to look VERY good to Wall Street... profits... no radical downsizing... money in reserve... acquisition of key technologies... cutting edge technology solutions... great margins... chic...

I may even be persuaded to upgrade from my beloved Pismo...