how do you film your computer screen as you work?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by isculpt, Oct 23, 2007.

1. macrumors member

If I want to create tutorials that show my mouse working on my screen how do I do this? I am sure there is software that I pay for that can do this and I'll take recommendations but is there anything free or in the things I own on my mac?

Thanks
    plundering through to figure out how to do these things.

2. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

ishowu is a great app for video screen capture and audio

3. macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

I use Snapz Pro X. Again like iShowU it isn't free but a brilliant app. :)

4. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Doesn't QT Pro allow this as well. I've bought some how-to guides that were done using QT and I thought it was stated QT Pro was how they did the screen video captured uring those but I could be wrong ;)

5. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I like Snapz Pro very much too, and the demo is fully functional for two weeks.

Lethal

6. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Can it also capture from a DVD playing or only if it's paused?

7. macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

It can capture video from DVD Player yes.

8. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thank you, my GF could use this feature very nicely for her lectures where one only needs 10 seconds of video or so to drive a point home ;)

9. macrumors newbie

fizz141

How bought ScreenFlow?

You could try Screen Flow!
    But you can't put the film onto youtube!
    Thats what anoyys me about it, Unless someone knows how to put it onto there? :D thats all i know and if you wanna film yourself you could have iMovie. But I think you can only get these two on macbook. So uhhh sorry to the other people who don't have macbook!!!

10. macrumors regular

iShowU is very good. Screenflow too is fantastic. A bit pricey but you can edit the video and sound like in iMovie before exporting the video. This makes doing re-takes very easy.

deej

11. macrumors 6502

I've used screenflow but I have not figured out a way to capture video with custom frame or codec settings (please tell me if there's a work around). It appears to always capture in H.264 at 30 fps. After capture, I can export from H.264 into ProRes with custom frame settings, but by that time the video has already taken a hit. Is there any screen capture software for Mac that lets you capture directly into ProRes?

I was able to put a 7 minute clip on youtube using ScreenFlow, though I only tried it once. I exported the video at H.264, but at 15 fps, at half the dimentions of my computer screen, then uploaded the exported copy. (Hope that helps, because that's about all the detail I remember).:eek:

12. macrumors newbie

WOW! That sounds like a nice setup, You have 5 times the amount of ram i have, and more than 10 times more HD space