How do you forum?

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Mar 29, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I was curious how most of you browse MR.

I usually click "new posts" search the first three or four pages (cause 14 is too many, if there is something worth reading, it will keep getting bumped to the first three or four pages anyway) and I will usually check my name on the forums for the posts I have made to see reactions or if there are any comments...

If there is something specific then it's search time.

Anyone?

Cheers.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well for some reason whenever I come on MR after a day off or so, I like to see if any threads have been Wastelanded. Not sure why but I always check to see if there is an orange ball (new posts/thread indicator)....Then after that I'll check all for forums to see if any recent threads have interesting titles (just the front page, not actually in them at first). Then after that I just go to a forum at random till I find something interesting to reply to....Then I leave for ~5 minutes, come back to my computer and do it all over again; minus the Wasteland. :p

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just to make sure, did you know that if you go to User CP (right under the apple) you can see a list of all the threads you've posted in, and whether there are new responses?

Anyway, I use a mix of the new posts and the user CP thread list, and sometimes search.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Couldn't find that under the User CP. Must be blind today :D But if you go to the bottom where you see whos on and click on your username you can get that to.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I believe what is being referred to is when your Options (set under User CP) are to automatically subscribe to threads in which you've posted, or you manually subscribe to a thread, clicking on User CP will display those threads.

You can also go to your profile (Quick Links > My Profile) and click on "View all posts by [username]" to get a list of recent posts.

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I look at new post and look at topics I have posted in from my profile.

7. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

If you scroll down on the list of users, I always appear to be there first...

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Oh the subscription thing. Never really used that except on my first post here :eek: Thanks.

Well I guess that is sorta true since you have an "_" as your first character, so you would be toward the front. But actually when you look who is online, your own username is always first. Like you probably see me with the 'T's', but I see me in the first spot :)

EDIT: Correction, the "_" is actually towards the end and not the beginning. I thought the non-letters were first....guess not.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, your user name is always listed first for you, as mine is for me. Not sure what purpose it serves, since I assume you know you're logged in and so won't need to look for it, but...

Anyway, for how I browse - I tend to do new posts, then review threads in which I've posted to see if anything new has hit. I generally have MR open much of the day, and periodically check it out.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

I do a Get Daily, it gives me all the post within the last 24 hours. Saves time verses going section by section.

Plus it covers more posts than a Get New... specially if you stop by for a second but don't have time just then to post anything. The older post still pop up later if you come back within 24 hours.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Am I the only one to mainly use the right column of the main site to surf the forums?

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

I do that too! so sometimes I might missed out some replies from my posts.

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

No, you are not... I use the main site as well...

15. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thats what I do too - I only go deeper into the forums if I am checking a thread I posted on, or if I'm searching for something specific.

I read a LOT more than I post. I'm only on about 300 posts in over 3 years and yet I read MR almost every day, sometimes several times a day. I consider myself a regular and recognise lots of people and their styles of posting. I feel like I almost 'know' some of the regulars here, but I bet hardly any of them recognise my name due to my low level of posting.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have 2 bookmarks in my Toolbar: One to "New Posts" to see what's going on and another to "my most recent posts" to see if there's been any responses...