Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I had to restore my ipod because of the update. And now i have to go through 200 messages in 6 mail accounts and delete them and the biggest problem is i after you delete the messages in one account it goes and retreves 25 more. IT IS SO DAMN ANNOYING. How to i get this to not do that.

On top of that when you're trying to delete the message the program goes out looking for the new mail and it becomes non responsive to your commands while do something you never asked it to do

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I had to restore my ipod because of the update. And now i have to go through 200 messages in 6 mail accounts and delete them and the biggest problem is i after you delete the messages in one account it goes and retreves 25 more. IT IS SO DAMN ANNOYING. How to i get this to not do that.

On top of that when you're trying to delete the message the program goes out looking for the new mail and it becomes non responsive to your commands while do something you never asked it to do

I chose to setup a special email account for use on the iPhone only. In my case it is Yahoo Push. I then have a copy of the mail I want on the iPhone copied to that account. Then if I have to do a lot of maintenance I can just use the Web Interface for my Yahoo Account and DELETE ALL. Then my main email account has the official copy that I can either delete or archive or whatever.

Works pretty good for me. Negative for some people is they don't want to look at their mail twice. Which is what I need to do but for me it is pretty quick since I don't have that much mail. I may change when the mail client on the iPhone is a more full featured mail client (rules, group delete etc).

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I chose to setup a special email account for use on the iPhone only. In my case it is Yahoo Push. I then have a copy of the mail I want on the iPhone copied to that account. Then if I have to do a lot of maintenance I can just use the Web Interface for my Yahoo Account and DELETE ALL. Then my main email account has the official copy that I can either delete or archive or whatever.

Works pretty good for me. Negative for some people is they don't want to look at their mail twice. Which is what I need to do but for me it is pretty quick since I don't have that much mail. I may change when the mail client on the iPhone is a more full featured mail client (rules, group delete etc).

Well with the current system you have to look at your mail twice anyway. Don't you?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Well with the current system you have to look at your mail twice anyway. Don't you?

Excellent point. Because of the way I use the feature I did not notice it does not show as READ within the Web Interface (after reading on the iPhone). Yet another FIX needed.

I am so suprised this has not been addressed. The iPhone is the best platform for email and pda functions. For me the iPod is just a bonus. I don't get it that Apple is not all over this.

We are not talking about a new feature, we are talking about "fixing" the email application. I don't really see any true BUGS with any other feature. All my other comments would be more features (like over the air sync or contacts and calendar).

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
It would be rather pointless of me to have to log into some other device to read my email so that I can read it in the iPhone. The reason why I got the iPhone was so I could read my email while on the go and nowhere near a secure computer. I even set up my mail account specially to facilitate IMAP on the iPhone sharing the same account with all my other computers.

To not download messages that you have already read, how about deleting them? Or switch to IMAP, and they will show as read in all the mail clients.

-jt2

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It would be rather pointless of me to have to log into some other device to read my email so that I can read it in the iPhone. The reason why I got the iPhone was so I could read my email while on the go and nowhere near a secure computer. I even set up my mail account specially to facilitate IMAP on the iPhone sharing the same account with all my other computers.

To not download messages that you have already read, how about deleting them? Or switch to IMAP, and they will show as read in all the mail clients.

-jt2

I have considered using regular IMAP (without PUSH) but I was hoping for PUSH email. Yahoo Push is all that is available. I guess I was expecting these BUGS to have been fixed long before now. If after 1.1 it is not fixed I will probably go in another direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.