How do you go to Macworld?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tjevans, Jan 26, 2006.

1. tjevans macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006
    Does it take tickets to attend Macworld? If so, how does one get tickets? Is this something that really for industry insiders, or can we mere users enjoy it as well?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It's just a normal trade show, sponsored by Macworld magazine. Their Web site still has information up for the just-completed show, but pass prices are up there under the registration link.
  3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Exhibit area attendance is free or cheap, depending on when you register.

Attending the conference sessions, and the keynote in particular, can cost you plenty, if you are paying your own way.

If you have a sponsor, such as a company you work for, that's ideal!
  4. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    wwdc is a bit more exclusive than MacWorld, but yes, would have everything you want. The user conference pass is about $150-200, and that's the cheapest one that'll get you into the keynote. Otherwise, an exhibit pass is $20ish (you might be able to get one for free if you know someone who's gotten one of the more $$ packages, i know they send free bring-a-friend/colleague exhibit hall passes sometimes to people)

WWDC on the other hand, is more for developers (as the name suggests), and that's significantly more..erm, costly. College students can get a WWDC Student Scholarship if they're an ADC student member.

So, most definately it would rock if you had a sponsor (like your company) :)
  5. tjevans thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006
    I don't think I can get my company to pay for me to go, since I'm a lawyer. I'm new to the world of mac. I don't even have one yet, but I will definitely have one by this time next year. I've just always heard such big things about Macworld that I thought it was more of a festival than a trade show.
  6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Well, you've already missed out on MacWorld 2006, so you will have to shoot for MacWorld 2007. It's fun, but it can also be pretty expensive, depending upon the hotel you choose and actual conference package you choose. If someone else is picking up the tab, so much the better, but if it is out of your own pocket, just know that it's going to be $$$.

Worth it? Just coming off my first (self-paid) MacWorld, I'd say a resounding YES, but that's me and my particular experience. I loved it and had a lot of fun. Will I do it again? You bet! Already putting money aside for MW2007.....

Edited to add that I'm a recent switcher, only have had my iMac since mid-October and my PB since the end of that month....I heard about MacWorld and for a number of reasons decided that it would be a fun thing to do, so made the reservations and flew out there from the East Coast and had a really wonderful time.