how do you google?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Jul 30, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

first up - apologies to any google employees who may see this for using google as a verb.

back to the point: what results come up if you search google for your name? do you rank higher than anyone else with your name? does anyone interesting share your name? do you get any results that mention your name that don't refer to you?

Mine's boring - i come up first (some credits on a site i run), followed by some guy who's the director of systems architecture and production for "Car America"

could be an interesting thread! [could also be destined for the wasteland]

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I'll play, I come up 8th. After several links to a guy who works at a Ford dealership. And actually the page that links to my name is a project I did in college 5 years ago. :) My more current pages are farther down the list.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My real name generates nothing.
    I have worked hard at that.
    I contact any company that has my phone or address info, or personal infor and have them delete it! It takes work, but it can be done.

As for Eniregnat, there are a number of pages of posts at diffrent forums.

As for my pen names. Well, I like seeing my works listed.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The first 7/7 sites google links under my name are infact stuff I did, my blog, some random comments on different sites... ect

10/11 on MrMacMan23

Yeah Google got me...

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

see for yourselves

I have a pretty unique name, but it is a well recognized name. So I get all the things you might think of - Emerson College, Emerson the electronics company, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc.

I think I google pretty well :).

although none of the sites are about me. I only did my 1st name though.

scem0

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I didn't see myself in the first hundred hits. But for people with the same name as me, at #1 is the Senior Vice President of Global Transportation Services at UPS. At #8 is someone in the same country as me. Total number of hits is 99 900.

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

awhile back i wanted to be a lawyer, and ironically all the listings for my names are lawyers.... :)

8. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I come up 3rd and 4th, and they're both things I'm involved in (talent agency and school district stuff)

The 1st and 2nd ones that come up are hybrids of my name in the minutes of some School Administration Professional Standards Advisory Board in Kansas. One of the board members has my first name as his last, and the other one has my last name as HIS last, so my name show up on Google with a "/" inbetween the names.

I've never done that before...that was fun!:)

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I come up 8 out of the first 10 results shown actually. :D

They are mostly for mention of me in some projects I've either worked on or currently am working on. One is for my resume on my website. A couple are for my showing of photography on a community artist site.

There's a couple that link up to macrumors even. ;)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I am the 10th result on google.co.uk, on .com I still haven't found me! :(
    Searching by my handle (edesignuk) I am the first result on both .com and .co.uk google's :D

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I am the 1st of 19 total results. I have a very unique last name. Most of the results are for someone named Juli who has the same last name as me.

12. zim macrumors 65816

zim

It has been brought to my attention that apparently I died in a snowmobile accident, or at least that is what the 4th listing is. Wow, he was the same age as I was too, creepy.

I actually come in second! First place goes to my rival, don't actually know him. Apparently he is a race-car driver, what annoys me is that there has been no effort on his part to gain the ranking, the page does not even work.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wow...weird...case of stolen identity? :eek: ;)

14. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

There is an executive at NASCAR with my exact first and last name so he comes up for serveral pages. My domain, barnhart.info, will come up if I type come up if I type in words that are on my site with my last name.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There are so many people with my name I don't even come up as far as I could tell. ;)

Now, go do a search for dukestreet on google and I'm the top 5 on the first page!!! Woohoo! Ah well, so much for the name change......:D

D

16. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I came up the first 4 times, some for some messages I sent to the Omniweb mailing group, some for my uni.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

now if I search for "eyelikeart"...my god...

50 pages come up...all me...most of them posts from here... :eek: ;)

if I search my company, "eye creative"...my website is the 5th listing! :D

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

WOW!

I came up a lot more often than I thought I would. A lot of it was work related. A few where answers I posted on the Mad Scientist Network (www.madsci.org). I found a lot of quotes in newspaper articles that I didn't even know I was quoted for! I guess that is what I get for setting on the County Plan Commission....

I came up on about 90% of the hits on the first four pages!!!! After that it was putting together two different names.

Now my handle...yah, that's all mine (though I wish a few of those would go away....)

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It is scary how much of Macrumors is indexed in google......a lot of dukestreet comes up as well.

Also gone3d is the top 4 for me :D

D

20. MacManDan macrumors 6502

My name comes up with 3 pages on google. Only one of the links is actually me (for a competition I did a couple of years ago). From what's left, whatever is not in spanish (or a link to a website from Mexico), is a whole bunch of news articles and reports on a guy with my same name (from around my same area) who was arrested multiple times for outstanding fines and other "issues" (not more detailed) that say there is a warrant out for his arrest .. :(

Hope they don't get me instead ;-)

21. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Actually, I did a search just a few weeks ago and was very surprised to have (exactly) one hit. I have a quite unique name, so I looked up what the link was about. It's been even more surprising as it was about a play. One of the main characters had my name. I decided to email the author and ask him where they had the idea from and it came out that it was made of two famous people from Germany. The names were just slightly changed and put together and voilá.. my name was created.

Another thing is about my surname. I always thought it would be a unique name, too, but when I did a search for it, I found out that in the States, there are churches, roads and towns, that all carry my name. Quite a surprise, as I don't have an English name at all.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When I search with my real name, I get no result for the search. I did a search with wdlove and to my suprise it found my posting her at macrumors.com. Has this happened to anyone else?

23. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I did a search for my name and came up with 582,000 results! :eek: I got bored after 40 pages, but I wasn't in there yet. I think I've done good at keeping my name out of the public reach. Only people that I actually know know my real name. Looking good!

JW

BTW, I did a search for my screenname, and in 356,000 results (less than my name!) I searched through the first 50+ pages without finding anything of mine. No big surprise there. My email address fortunantly found nothing.

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

read up a few posts... ;)

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my real name are all related to me and i am in a few listings as a musician, teacher, or techie

when i type in jefhatfield, i get two pages full of hits and it's all me, and most of it from macrumors, one from macfixit, and the others from other sites i belong to:p