Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
My MBP keyboard is used constantly, and I know I can't avoid passing bacteria to it from all the things I touch throughout the day. I don't want to ruin the finish on my keyboard with alcohol or anything abrasive, so how do you guys sterilize or kill the bacteria on your keyboards? Feedback would be great and highly appreciated.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It'd be a lot easier to keep some antiseptic wipes/spraygel nearby and use that on your hands occasionally than to try to disinfect the keyboard regularly - I see a lot of ways that could go wrong and reduce the lifetime of the hardware.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
you are a dirty dirty man!

I am unaware of any product that can satisfy your need without alcohol. The alternative is to get a usb attached rubber/foldable keyboard for use in the situations you are detailing and then hit it with alcohol all you want. I suggest you use cognac that stuff knocks your nuts into your throat.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
It'd be a lot easier to keep some antiseptic wipes/spraygel nearby and use that on your hands occasionally than to try to disinfect the keyboard regularly - I see a lot of ways that could go wrong and reduce the lifetime of the hardware.

jsw has a good point. Purell is your friend.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Get an iSkin. It's made of silicone, so you can soak it in alcohol, you could probably boil it (don't sue me if it melts or deforms, though).

otherwise, wear gloves. Keyboard are dirty, dirty objects.. *shudder*

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jsw has a good point. Purell is your friend.
Thanks. It was tough going with a serious answer when I was tempted to reply with something more along the lines of "take it to the doctor for the relatively simple procedure, then be sure to keep ice on the area for a while."
otherwise, wear gloves. Keyboard are dirty, dirty objects.. *shudder*
I suspect that you're always worried when using door handles... especially the ones when exiting bathrooms.

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
I've owned my present mac for over 2 years, ive never cleaned my keyboard in any way.

I've also yet to suffer any serious illness since owning this particular mac......

in short, unless you so are into some weird stuff there shouldnt be anything worrisome on your keyboard, ignore it

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I suspect that you're always worried when using door handles... especially the ones when exiting bathrooms.

Ewww, I always use a paper towel to open a bathroom door upon exiting.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005

YEAH! And if there's no paper towels, you have to use your knees.
If the trash can is far away and you have to throw away the paper, you hold the door open with your toe and stretch to reach the can. In the even the can is too far away, you kick it to closer to the door, open said door again, hold it open with your foot and put it in.

Public washrooms are DISGUSTING.

Same thing with public keyboards,. I can't use the ones in the library at school without wanting to take a full-body bleach dip afterwards.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Get an iSkin. It's made of silicone, so you can soak it in alcohol, you could probably boil it (don't sue me if it melts or deforms, though).

This is what I do, minus the freaky ways of cleaning it. Warm water and soap, people, warm water and soap!

Speaking of which #1, my iBook skin is due. *goes to wash and comes back*

Speaking of which #2, there were Dell desktops sitting in the corners of the wet lab for my neuroanatomy class this summer. Human brains in buckets of biostat. And keyboards nearby. Holy gross, batman.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Thank god, I thought I was the only one who does this. Good to know I have a company. I have to wash my hands after washing hands in the public bathroom and grabbing that hideous dirty door knob with my bear hand (if there is no paper towel; those damn environmentally friendly hand dryers!). Of course, all of my portable notebooks, I use iSkin. Every morning, I show up at my offices, I clean up my keyboard/mouse/desk telephone with water-moisten paper towel as I have no guarantee no one touched them on my desk while I was on the road. Since I am there so early in AM, no one is watching I am such a clean freak.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
I've worked taking care of animals, and I've also worked taking care of computer users. I'd have to say that the tolerance that computer users have for using thoroughly disgusting keyboards, mice and mousepads has driven me to further extremes of personal hygiene than any work I've done with animals. YUCK!

I second (or third, fourth, ...) the use of some alcohol-based hand disinfectant and a regular washing of your hands to keep most of the surface funk under control, but I also clean my keyboards once a year (disassemble, clean using alcohol-based cleaner/disinfectant, ressemble), just to get all of the other extraneous matter that may drop in behind the keys (including dust, hair, dander, etc.)

I also use an iSkin or equivalent on laptop keyboards.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
... so how do you guys sterilize or kill the bacteria on your keyboards? Feedback would be great and highly appreciated.

Haha, I would just wipe with a damp cloth or towel. Don't go overboard with killing bacteria. Most come from you anyway. Most are friendly :)

And, no, I saw a TV program on ABC and it showed the kitchen to have more germs than a bathroom.

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
If this concerns you I would advise that you keep at least 1 mile away from any of my keyboards. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.