how do you guys take notes in class?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Nov 21, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

tkepongo

i usually use microsoft onenote but i always distract myself by surfing the web in class :rolleyes:

2. macrumors 6502

I use pages for all of my note taking in Biology and Chemistry. Haven't found a better solution, though I haven't searched very hard :rolleyes:

3. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

pen + paper

computer note taking isn't well suited to engineering as I have to take down a lot of equations and diagrams very quickly.

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Pen and paper. :)

Actually, I rarely took notes.

5. macrumors 601

Prof.

If I didn't care for the class I didn't take notes :eek:

6. macrumors member

flowagner

pen&paper for more mathematical subjects
    neooffice for everything else.

7. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I have a ruled reporter's Moleskines for each subject. They're durable and great quality and last forever. I can write and draw diagrams as necessary far more quickly than I could on my mac.

8. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I rarely take notes in class. The few times I have, I've used the notebook feature of Office 2004, and of course, a pen and paper.

9. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I use Journaler. It's simple and does what I want it to, with quite a useful file system.

10. macrumors G4

Mord

I don't, I find it better to just pay 100% attention.

11. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

I haven't set foot in a classroom in well over a decade, but if I did I'd probably use VoodooPad. I use it to keep track of work-related things now and it's great.

It's like having a local, personal world-wide-web.

12. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Pen & paper. It's a lot less distracting that a computer, feels more natural to me, allows me to make faster changes (no hunting around with the cursor to go back) and drawing diagrams and equations is a nightmare on a computer.

13. macrumors 6502a

As a former professor, I would recommend not surfing the web in class. The instructor can always tell no matter how sneaky you are being. It was always amusing to me the students that thought I didn't see them surfing the web or even sleeping.

14. macrumors G5

yg17

I don't :D

And it hasn't hurt me yet. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 4.0 GPA in my major. I'm pretty decent at memorization (and if there's a question pool handed out before a test, it's basically a guaranteed A for me)

15. macrumors 68000

Paper and Pen or Pencil.

16. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This was my plan as well. I just soaked up the information, rather than trying to get everything down on paper. It would piss my classmates off when I would do well on the tests. :) It was great. :)

17. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I tried to use my PowerBook for taking notes a while back, but it just didn't work for any of my subjects. :(

Biology - too many diagrams and graphs

Business Studies - the teacher prints out all the notes for us

Geography - most notes have to be taken on specific printed out sheets

Psychology - notes go in course notes book

So I'm back using boring old pen and paper.

18. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Pen and paper. I'm hoping to get a MB or MBP before my next semester.

19. macrumors 68000

Pencil and paper for math and Office 2004's notebook feature for everything else. I've found it particularly worthwhile to have a laptop in college because I type a whole lot faster than I write and I can edit my notes without any hassle (amongst other things).
    -Chasen

20. macrumors 6502a

Depends on the class. I prefer pen and paper, but a few times, I've had really fast-talking lecturers, so I use my iBook there because I can type faster than I write, so its easier to keep up that way.

21. Guest

eric55lv

my fly pen then i can put it on my mac

22. macrumors 65816

it5five

pen and paper

I have never heard of a lecturer going too fast that taking paper notes isn't possible/a computer is necessary.

Plus it seems that actually physically writing the notes helps me retain that information, rather than typing.

I'm also safe in case anything would happen to my MB. I'd still have all of my notes.

23. macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Back in the day, I used a Psion Series 5 for a while. Best PDA keyboard ever made, still better than any I know even now.

Ultimately I went back to pen and paper though... more space, easier, more reliable :)

The Psion was nice when you had to write a report though, with the ability to sync it up to the PC at home and use copy/paste on the notes.

I suspect a Tablet PC would be a good one these days.

24. macrumors 6502

adroit

Funny that you mentioned that. I do that all the time but I never tried to hide it though. I usually just go to class so that I know what we're learning about so I can study the right thing. The actual learning part are usually done at home.

Back to the question. I find that it is best to use pen and paper, unless the course notes is posted in online pdf. In that case, I usually add in the comments right on the slides using the good old Acrobat.

25. macrumors 6502a

Most of the classes I taught were high particiaption classes where one's involvement in discussion had a rather large impact on one's grade. It seems the students just didn't care.