Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
Hey guys, I recently recieved an old '06 Mac Mini from a friend and I've been wondering what to do with it.

I thought of using it as a file server, web server, all the basic things you can do with an old computer.

But then I thought of what I was working on at the time. iMessage for Android. So, I decided to use the Mac Mini as my iMessage server instead of using my Hackintosh, because how would I text from my phone when I'm using the Windows side of my computer and the iMessage server isn't running?

I found some old DDR2 RAM sticks and upgraded it to 4gb, then upgraded the processor to an old C2D T7600 I got from my school (they were upgrading their computers to iMacs). So now the Mac Mini has a 64bit processor that should be capable of running Yosemite.

Except it won't boot because the Mini has a 32bit EFI and it needs a 64bit EFI to boot Yosemite. Plus the Intel GMA 950 won't work because the kext is also 32bit. (I don't really care about that because it's going to be run headless)

Now for the actual question, how would you go about installing Yosemite on this? Would you use Clover to emulate a 64bit Mac BIOS? Would I use the instructions here to get a new EFI file that simulates the 64bit EFI calls to the 32bit calls? Would I use Chameleon?

Because if we figure this out, this would open up the world to iMessage on Android when I (hopefully) release it, they could use Macs that are as old as 2006 to run a secure iMessage server that their Android phone could connect to and send and receive iMessages. Think about it :).

screen1.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.