How do you know you are on LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smoothisfast, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Just got my AT&T iPad. Is there a visual indication when I'm connected to LTE? It says 4G but that could mean HSPA+

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will say LTE

3. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Doh!

Yes, THIS.

4. macrumors member

Will it only say this if you have bought a plan? Out of the box, mine shows 3 bars, the word Verizon and the wi-fi symbol.

5. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Turn off Wifi and see what it says then.

6. macrumors 65816

Yes, you have to buy a plan. Plus, if you are on Wi-Fi, it will show the wi-fi symbol / signal whether or not you have a cell plan. I assume this is your first iOS device. :)

Tony

7. macrumors member

Darn. It is my first xG iPad device, but it's early and my brain didn't put 2+2 together that it would act like my iPhone. :eek:

8. macrumors 603

Pardon a stupid question. Can someone confirm whether an AT&T iPad will say LTE if no data plan is active, or if it just says 4G?

I don't really need a data plan today so would rather not buy one to find out. Coverage maps says I should be in solid LTE yet am just seeing 4G indicator.

Thanks.

9. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Yes, it will say LTE, and it is AWESOME!!!!

(sorry, I don't know whether it will say LTE if no data plan is active. I activated both my iPads so I can't say. But when active, it will say LTE if you are in an LTE area).

10. macrumors 6502

I am also in an area labeled LTE but only getting 4G.

11. macrumors 6502

Before I transferred my data plan to my new iPad, it just said 'searching' in the upper left corner. It only showed AT&T 4g after I activated the plan (no lte in my area). In the settings menu it will indicate its an AT&T device though with or wo a plan.

12. macrumors 603

Thanks, without activating a dataplan, mine shows AT&T 4G with no delay or issues. I'm puzzled in that the coverage maps suggest I should be in a solid LTE area, and I am definitely in solid AT&T coverage usually with 4 or five bars. With the comments about needing to be provisioned for LTE, I was wondering if maybe it didn't show LTE until there was a dataplan.

Since mine didn't arrive until dinnertime last night I've not been out to see if I get different results elsewhere.

Yes it'd be as easy as signing up for a plan, but I don't really need one this month so figured I'd ask. (and no, I don't particularly trust what AT&T reps would say else I'd have called them)

13. macrumors 6502

Well I looked at my old iPad currently without a data plan and it says AT&T 4g. Mine may have initially said searching because it wasn't configured or something.

It's a good question. Let me know if you find out. Maybe some friends in your area or another known lte area can help out. Either way I think it's safe to say that AT&T lte is still in its early stages.

14. macrumors 65816

Starfyre

I am on Verizon, I just turned off my Wifi and it says "3G", does that mean... LTE is not in my area? O_O?

15. macrumors 65816

This happened to me and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.
    I got the AT&T one and it never showed LTE even thought it is supported in my areas.

As soon as I bought the data plan, the LTE lit up and I get full speeds.

16. macrumors 65816

Starfyre

Did it say 3G or something else before you bought data plan?

17. macrumors 604

ZBoater

That means you are not getting an LTE signal, or could mean you are not signed up for a LTE data plan.

18. macrumors 65816

Starfyre

I am not signed up for an LTE data plan, or any data plan at all. I want to know if there is some way to know for certain without looking at a picture of a map that i have LTE available before plunging the money for a data plan. I do not want to buy a data plan without knowing for certain and get 3G speeds. I will have to switch ATT if this is the case. Seeing 3G next to the Verizon text on the indicator concerns me a bit.

19. macrumors 604

ZBoater

If you are not signed up (AT&T or Verizon), you will not see the LTE network, and your iPad will not say LTE.

20. macrumors 65816

It had a consistent 4G like my iPhone 4s.
    I turned on and off cellular and LTE and it always showed 4g until I actually purchased.

21. macrumors 68020

miamialley

I'm confused about this, too. I haven't started my cellular account yet and only get a 3G indicator on my iPad 3. This, even though I'm in a 4G LTE area.

22. macrumors 604

ZBoater

You don't get LTE until you sign up.

23. macrumors G4

My Verizon iPad said "3G" until I purchased the data plan, at which point the LTE indicator turned on.

24. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why don't you want to look at a map?

25. macrumors demi-god

You'll know you're on LTE when the network is twice as fast as the usual wifi.:D