How do you know you have a 9800?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Oct 12, 2003.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I orderd the 9800 pro graphics card... But have I been had? System profiler doesnt say which model. The card doesnt say anything but Ati Radeon on it. Medal of Honor runs choppy with every single option all the way up...

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Radeon 9800 is aka "R350", and should have 128 MB Video Memory.

Maybe Medal doesn't run too well on sungle CPU configs. The patch to make Medal SMP accelerated, really made the game going on my Dual 1.25 Ghz G4.
    Also RAM is much needed for the game too (512 MB should be OK, though)

Maybe even waiting for Panther before testing the hardware speed would be a good idea too. the G5 needs 10.3....

3. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Where does it say R350

1. Where does it say R350 on the chip or on system profiler.

2. Yes I think panther will definatley make dual proccesing as good as its suposed to be. What is 12 days now? Do i get a discount with those software coupons that cam in the g5 box.

3. I call EA games on that issue with turning all the advanced options all the way up. They said on theyre PC test machine with dual 3.06 Xeon processors it still skips

Thank you for responding by the way!!:D

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

1) In System Profiler.... But as i don't have a G5, I can't test what the OEM version will be called.
    But the 128 MB VRAM must be shown. If you have 64 MB, then you would probably have the 9600.

2) Panther will do the G5 a lot of good. SMP support is there ever since the first version of OS X, so I won't think there will be any difference in that department.

3) Wow... didn't know that! Makes my Dual 1.25 G4 (with 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Retail) an excellent performer! I have all settings maxed-out runing at 1024 x 768 res. Sure it hiccups sometimes when it's very busy, but it runs pretty smoothly most of the time.
    I love that game.

5. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Medal of Honor

im running it at 1024 680 or something. Yeah thats all im talking about little hickups. But I'm suposed to have the fastest computer in the world... I was expecting to much. My mind set was more of a Jesus Christ in the form of a computer...

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

no such thing--1024 x 768,,800 x600 640x480. anyways turn the darn thing off and look inside or take a picture. look at the heat sink and then look at the ati website you will see the difference between 9600-9800. hope you DONT have the fx5200 because that card sucks in no small terms. about a mx series card not mutch better unless your selling them.

7. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

8. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Runs great on my P4M with RADEON 7500 laptop with all the features maxed. The graphics in this game are not even that good - its just the Quake 3 engine. Call of Duty is way better (also q3 engined).

Open the case and see if there is a power cable attached to the video card. The 9800P requires extra power directly from the Power Supply - ideally on its own rail. Even if you have the 9600 this game should fly. Maybe even on the 5200 (yes a bad card, but after my 9800P died in my PC I had to resort to using one and it plays most quake 3 engined games fine - maybe its the P4 running 3.36GHz).

If it is a 9800p in the G5, you probably have 6xAA and 16xAF turned on or something because this game is old, and looks it. No modern PC should have any trouble running it at all.

9. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

SOLUTION

Go into quake 3 and go to card info

and it wil tell you the vendor the model the works!!!!

oh yeah i have the 9800 pro

10. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

So what do i do?

You lost me...What should i turn on?

You have everysingle adavanced option turned up?

11. lewdvig macrumors 65816

There really are not any features in this game that should effect performance in the way that you describe, unless you are running an extremely high resolution like 1600*1200 with AA (anti-aliasing) and AF (anisotropic filtering) set to their highest levels. So check to see if AA and AF are turned on somewhere.

Try to scale back these settings if you can find them. I only know the PC version and it has been a year since I played it.

12. mmathis macrumors newbie

That's weird. I have a dual G5 with a 9600, and it runs speedy and without hiccups with every setting maxed out.