How Do You Launch Your Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Nielsenius, Jul 28, 2011.

?

How do you launch your apps?

1. Spotlight

40 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Launchpad

35 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Stack (fan)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stack (list)

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Stack (grid)

18 vote(s)
    16.5%
  6. Finder window

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. Third-party solution

14 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  9. Dock

48 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. macrumors 6502a

There are so many different ways to launch applications on a Mac. You can use Spotlight, stacks in the dock, Launchpad, a Finder window, or a third party application, like Alfred. It's all up to personal preference. So, how do you launch your apps and why have you chosen that particular method?

You may chose multiple options in the poll!

2. macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

i still use the Applications Stack in the dock

3. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Dock and Spotlight. I use Dock for frequently used apps so mainly when I'm rebooting. Spotlight for everything else.

4. macrumors regular

Ropie

I have a link to the Applications folder in the dock that shows list view. I tried Launchpad but find it too sickly sweet looking for everyday use and I don't like the fact that it updates and re-arranges itself and makes folders without checking with me first!

In an ideal world I would love to get a proper APPLE MENU option back :eek:

5. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Frequently used apps in the Dock (I voted other because it's not from a stack, just on the dock), Spotlight for any that aren't on the Dock.

6. macrumors 6502

Currently using Drag Thing since I am OCD about having things super organized. Since Apple doesn't support users being organized in virtually any way anymore.... LOL. I really do not understand how dumping every icon into one big folder is BETTER??? Launchpad at first sucked with all the junk it dumped in there, but it's better now that Launchpad Control was created! But I am sold on Drag Thing as a dock replacement now... and hid my built in dock permanently using Dock Gone.

7. macrumors 68000

Erm...Dock and Applications folder.

8. macrumors member

Recently I've found myself using Spotlight.

9. macrumors member

I almost always use something thats already in my dock, but other than that i use Alfred to find anything i don't have docked.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I should have put an option for the "dock". I guess "other" will do.

Anyways, the reason I made this thread is because I've tried pretty much every method of app launching out there and I'm always switching around. Many people have complained about Launchpad. I find it to be quick and easy, but very poorly implemented. It just feels cheap and unprofessional. Right now I use the dock for my most used apps, a list stack for other apps, and Spotlight for apps that are located in some weird place. Undoubtedly, I'll be using some other method a month from now.

11. macrumors 68030

fisherking

i just put my most-used apps on the default Launchpad page (and everything in logical folders on the second page).

on my macbook, one swipe, tap on an app, and am good to go.

love it.

12. macrumors 68000

paulsalter

had to vote other as i mainly use the dock

13. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I added Dock to the poll.

14. macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Alfred and Launchpad.

15. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Launchpad. Just trying to get used to new ways of doing things.

16. macrumors member

Sometimes I use the dock, but as a whole I go to the Application Folder and open whatever I need. Then when I'm finished I close it and remove it from the Dock.

So while text and spreadsheet files are almost constantly open, others like Quicktime are shut off as soon as I'm finished.

17. macrumors member

chillvisio

Using QuickSilver

18. macrumors 601

derbothaus

Can't believe Launchpad takes the lead. Whats a Finder anyway:rolleyes:

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised at the number of Launchpad users. I was under the impression that everyone hated it.

20. macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Dock for the essential used apps, Spotlight for everything else. One of the first things I did after the upgrade was to remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock and turn off the gesture for it.

21. macrumors 6502

Takuro

I think QuickSilver deserves to be a dedicated option on the poll. I've never had a reason to launch an app using any method requiring movement of my mouse. Apple seriously needs to buy out this app and incorporate it into the main OS.

22. macrumors 68030

fisherking

on a trackpad at least, it's simple, immediate. i swipe, see my apps, click one once, and am working.

i used to use a third-party custom contextual menu, but this (once you ORGANIZE your apps LOL) is SO EASY...

23. macrumors 6502

FroMann

I only keep my most used apps in the dock which is Chrome, iTunes, iCal, Mail, and TextEdit. Whenever I need to launch any other application like Games, Utilities, Microsoft Office, iPhoto, Gimp, Steam, etc. I use the launch pad.

24. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Don't they? :p

I use the dock and spotlight. I really cant be bothered looking around for my app on a launchpad I haven't created the automatism for yet.

25. macrumors 68000

I use the new gesture to open launch pad and select the app. But I also keep most of my common apps open in full screen where I can or on their own desktop so I can just swipe to them or I swipe down and from mission control select my open app. Since lion I almost never use the dock now and have removed my stacks and most apps from it. I actually wish there was a way to turn the dock off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk