How Do You Like iTunes 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GodBless, Sep 25, 2006.

What do think about iTunes 7?

1. It's Much Worse than iTunes 6

6 vote(s)
  2. It's Mostly Worse than iTunes 6

8 vote(s)
  3. It's About the Same as iTunes 6

5 vote(s)
  4. It's Mostly Better than iTunes 6

21 vote(s)
  5. It's Much Better than iTunes 6

19 vote(s)
  1. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Now that we've been using it for a while -- it's time to make a researched conclusion.

Try to be specific about what you like and/or what you don't.
  2. tvguru macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Kenora, ON Canada
  3. ghall macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2006
    Rhode Island
    I like it, but it hates me. It crashes all the time.
  4. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    The new features make it harder and more time consuming to browse through content which are some of the worst things you could do to a well designed and fundamentally simple application.
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Now that I've skinned it back to iTunes 6, but kept all the iTunes 7 features I'm fairly happy. However I preferred iTunes 6 as it didn't crash anywhere near as often as this one does and it had no glitches at all (especially with syncing iPods, unlike iTunes 7).

'common Apple! Release an iTunes update already! :mad:
  6. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I totally agree about the glitches. There is a delay for changing the equalizer settings and there is a delay with iTunes registering the play count until about ten seconds after a song is finished playing (perhaps this is because I have the 12 second overlap feature on but as far as I know iTunes 6 responded differently).
  7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    While I do like most of the new features, they've screwed with the 'ease of use'. Such as the disappearing of the EQ button [not even a hot key?!], which makes Airtunes a total pain sometimes [Since I tweak it out for the tiny laptop speakers, but keep it flat for the surround sound system].

I've also noticed that it doesn't like 'tap mode' [Trackpad clicking], causing the buttons to stick [especially the play/pause button]

Its also uglier, and inconsistent with other OS X Apps.
  8. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    To be honest I am very surprised that 4 people already voted that iTunes 7 is much better than iTunes 6. What makes it much better? A worse version (and without a fullscreen option) of CoverFlow compared to what the free third-party application offers? A slower version of iTunes with delays? An ugly interface? No more keyboard shortcut for the equalizer? A store that is harder and more time consuming to navigate through? How about no more search bar? Or no more visualization button? How about an inconsistent and noncompliant interface? These are just some of iTunes 7 problems.

To be honest the only things that I see that are new features are the video controls, skip count (column), last skipped (column) and (although I've never used it) the iPod integration. You can not call larger videos or free album cover art features. Come on people are you really that unaware of the actual features? This is obviously a much, much worse release than iTunes 6. For a more complete review from me of iTunes 7 compared to iTunes 6 click here.
  9. tacoboy42 macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2006
    i liked itunes7's new features with the artwork and the grouping, i kinda liked the style of 6 better with the blue scrool bars. but the reason i had to go back to 6 was the stability and not skipping. every time i opened another program it would skip and wouldnt stop unless i paused it and played it again. i liked itunes 6 for the slickness and the stability so thats why i went back.

im on a pc P4 3ghz 1GB ram

once they fix the bugs ill probably go back to 7
  10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    I agree with everything you say. I think the positive reaction here is a result of people just liking what's new. If the iTunes 7 interface has come first and we had just upgraded to the "new" iTunes 6 interface, I think people's reactions would be even more overwhelmingly positive to the change.

Everyone would be whining about the same things you write about in your post.
  11. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2005
    far away
    The only thing I don't like is the "Get Album Art"-Feature, because you can't trust it. It makes a lot of mistakes, and I spend even more time to keep my library organized than before.
    But all in all, it's a brilliant new version of my favourite software.
  12. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    Well, I don't like the new blue logo, i want the green one back. I thought the new one would grow on me but i still hate it.

I also don't like the artwork view when it is set to shuffle. This is because when you want to move onto the next song, i normally press the right arrow, but you are unable to do this on artwork view as it then moves just onto view the next piece of artwork.
  13. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I don't like either of those things either. Pressing cmd+right arrow key will do the trick but it's not as simplistic and smoothly easy than iTunes 6. Also I noticed that you can click on the "Music" button in CoverFlow view and it will let you change the tracks with the arrow key.
  14. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    1. How is adding a slightly less-featured CoverFlow worse than not adding it at all?
    2. It's not slower for me, it's just as fast.
    3. I don't think it's ugly. That's your opinion.
    4. You can easily add the keyboard shortcut for the EQ back yourself in the Keyboard preferences.
    5. I don't see how the store is harder to navigate?
    6. The search with the drop down selection is better than the bar from v6.
    7. Not more visualization button might bother some, but how often do you really use it? There's a keyboard shortcut anyway.
    8. Inconsistent interface might bother some, but it's highly subjective.

The improved video playback/controls are a significant thing. There's also the Artist Album column which is very nice. And what about gapless playback?!

My one and only problem with v7 is the fugly icon, which I already replaced with a really nice looking one.

When I do that in "CoverFlow view" it goes to the next random track. Dunno what's wrong with yours.
  15. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I have to agree. Nobody yet have given any examples of said what was better compared to what we had with iTunes 6. People just say it's better since it's new -- such unruly compulsiveness.
  16. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    St Charles, MO
    iTunes 7 is pretty much the same as iTunes 6 only that it has better integration with the iPod and has cover flow view. The cover view uses up a lot of my memory resources so I think it basically puts iTunes 7 on par with iTunes 6. :(
  17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Has anyone tried trackpad clicking on iTunes 7?

Even the little checkboxes stick! :mad:
  18. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I hope you don't mind me being critical however I don't think much of your conclusions are reasonable.

Because it makes iTunes slower and using the CoverFlow view worthless (since it doesn't have features that the regular version has -- I would rather still use the real CoverFlow Application and I am still using it).

I've experienced obvious delays -- for example try changing your equalizer main volume all the way down or up quickly and notice an undeniable delay that wasn't there before in iTunes 6.

OK I'll let you have an opinion.

Yeah I suppose I can also manually edit the source code of the Application too :rolleyes:. The point of a good application is that it is already good enough without any modifications.

Notice that you cannot any longer select your music genre from the iTunes Store home page -- making extra steps is not a better design.

I guess you don't have any experience with the bar. The point of the bar was that you could view your all of your media content or just your music, podcasts, audiobooks or movies independently while being in the library view. You can not longer do this in iTunes 7. Clicking here shows that I wasn't the only one who was extremely dissatisfied that this feature was removed.

I suppose we could take away all of the features regarding the mouse couldn't we? Realistically the best features should be accessible with mouse icons. The visualization feature was one of those features that should have an icon.

I don't know of anyone sane who thinks chaos is a good standard. Consistency is necessary for efficient production to occur. Imagine if your toilet moved to a different room every time you had to use it -- wouldn't work too well would it -- an inconsistent interface is similar to this.

OK I will support you on that one but it certainly doesn't make up for all of iTunes 7 faults.

I personally don't think this feature was thought through very well because if you only have a few tracks from an album it takes longer to scroll through your content. It might be somewhat useful in some circumstances.

I haven't used it yet but it might turn out to be pretty useful so I'll give you credit for that one.

Hey that's a good idea! I want to change my icon back to the old one. If anyone has a link to the full resolution iTunes 6 icon please send me the link!

It will be fine until you click on one of the albums cover art and then you won't be able to do it anymore until you click on the "Music" tab in the left column of the application (that is to say for you to have to use the arrow keys to switch tracks again). This is an example of inconsistency that gets in the way of efficient and productive usability.
  19. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Trackpad clicking has always been hard for me to use since I like to often move my mouse a couple of pixels at a time. When I only move my mouse a pixel or two my computer thinks I meant to click so I've never used it past my initial experience of figuring it out.
  20. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    I love it. Just the new iPod status screen makes it totally worth it.
  21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I like it. It is better than 6 but not wayyy better.
  22. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Here's a picture of it. (Sorry I don't have an iPod and I couldn't find a picture in English.)[​IMG]I personally conclude that it is ugly -- especially the grayish Windows looking oval buttons. Detailed imaging with texture and a natural look (such as reflective buttons) is beautiful (and makes a good looking interface) which is why the brushed metal looks so good. For another example try comparing the new iTunes icon to Safari's icon -- Safari's looks much better because of its high quality details that were thoughtfully put into it.
  23. barnacle macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2006
    maya beach, belize
    i love it,, but i am eagerly awaiting them to fix the bugs!
  24. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I found a new bug in the lower right corner. It came and it went fast but I caught it. Here's a picture:

Attached Files:

25. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    Why take away cool features and call it an "upgrade"?

No more: options to resize visualizer
    EQ button on main window
    Visualizer button on main window
    visualizer prefs button on main window

If I wanted album artwork I would buy the album, duh! That and music videos (worthless in my library) is the best they have to offer?

iTunes 6 was far more user friendly, If it weren't for the fact that songs can finally play gaplessly, (bout time) I'd trash it and go back to version 6.:mad: