How do you like your hot cocoa?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Dec 5, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm sitting here enjoying some instant hot cocoa, and it's pretty good, but it would be tons better if it was made with milk instead of the hot water (it's all I have here at the office).

I'd also really like some cinnamon or a peppermint candy cane to put inside. Either of those are my favorite way to drink hot cocoa. I don't do whipped cream, nor marshmallows.

What's your favorite way to make hot cocoa? Maybe I'll find a new recipe or two to try.

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I like it with something that's 80 proof..

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I figure there'll be a lot of that. :)

4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hot frothed milk and real flaked chocolate that's a minimum of 65% cocoa solids. A shot of Kahlua or vanilla vodka doesn't go amiss either

Water-based and powder based ones just don't taste the same...

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sweet, hot with some whipped cream.....and a lovely woman on my side..thats always good.

Bless

7. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Mmmm.... hot cocoa. The PERFECT hot cocoa- swiss miss hot cocoa, mini marshmellows (the more the merrier!), a candy cane (or just drop an Ande's mint into the cup), 1 packet of sugar, and a little bit o' milk. A little splash of Bailey's couldn't hurt either. :)

Hot cocoa is absolutely the best beverage after being out in the cold. It's the perfect drink after playing in the snow all day (back in the good old days) or after shoveling snow all day (the current days). I drive over to may parent's house when it snows to shovel for them, with one condition- mother makes some hot cocoa for when I'm done. :)

8. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

They definitely don't...but it was the best I could manage this morning. :)

I've also had a "tuxedo" cocoa, the coffeehouse called it, made with milk chocolate and white chocolate. It was VERY good.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

By NOT going to Starbucks. They make they absolute worst hot cocoa ever. I don't get why some people like it; it's like drinking bitter water.

I'm perfectly fine making mine with powder in packets using milk. There is a small coffee shop about 2 minutes from me that makes pretty delicious hot cocoa.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I like my hot chocolate like this:
    1. Start with one large mug
    2. empty 2 packets of powdered hot chocolate into said mug
    3. pour in boling water to fill mug halfway
    4. Pour in Baileys almost to the top of mug
    5. stir with candycane

(Obviously not for the office though! :eek: )

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I usually drink the hot cocoa made from those powder packets with the tiny marshmallows that disolve to just about nothing once I add boiling hot water.

Never really had hot cocoa any other way.

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Same here.. just packets and water.

Something about drinking hot milk sounds gross to me - but I should try it before I really make a judgement. :D

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree on the packets, easy to do and tastes good too.:)

14. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

With peppermint schnaaps is good.

Its too much of a pain to do it with hot milk, so we usually stick to the ones that require water. Can't stand Swiss Miss...its granular and tasteless. We like the Hershey's Brand. Ghirardelli is pretty good also.

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

doesn't anyone used steamed milk? man, that makes such a difference to the taste!!

i love it :)

16. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I drank hot milk once when I was little because I thought it would help me fall asleep (I guess it was a myth at the time). Needless to say I wanted to throw up after tasting it and ended up dumping it all out.

However, milk in cocoa isn't so bad but I hardly taste a big difference. Not sure about steamed milk though.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You've never had a latte? I can't stand hot milk on its own... but in a latte or hot chocolate, there's nothing better...

Although until I got my fast-heating espresso machine (with milk foaming attachment), I used to be lazier and just use the packets...

18. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Actually I have, so I guess I have had steamed milk :D

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

With Baileys and whipped cream - if there is no whipped cream, then more Baileys.

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I've recently become quite the hot cocoa addict. But since I can't have real milk, I just take Trader Joe's chocolate soy milk, heat it up on the stove...then top with whip cream and grate some chocolate sprinkles in it.

Still doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I get on campus, but I'm not about to run out and get a milk steamer so I can have hot cocoa two or three times a day.

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Dry Powder!

Actually I make my own.

1% milk steamed using my expresso machine. Add chocolate syrup and steam a bit more using the nozzle to mix in the syrup, then lightly froth to my liking :) .

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

At hotels I like to mix the powdered stuff with the free coffee.

When I order hot cocoa from some place I hardly ever have the whipped stuff on top.

Wish I had an expresso machine so I could be a bit more creative.

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

At work? The usual packet - generally the no sugar added (not as flavored as the regular) with two shots of the flavored creamer (vanilla, butter pecan, or hazelnut).

At home? It always varies. I like the hot chocolate made with the chocolate buttons, some of the flavored powders (if you don't like powdered, try Stephens sometime - you'll change your tune), or even regular powder. Depends on time and mood.

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I used to only use the Aztec Spiced Coco from Trader Joe's for my home brewing.

Can't find the stuff anymore though :(

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Hershey's cocoa (unsweetened) + sugar + tsp. mexican vanilla + milk = a good cup of hot chocolate.