How do you make a living if you work for activist groups such as Green Peace?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Jan 8, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am curious to know how those people who spend their time and energy into the cause they believe in and make a living? One of the examples is Green Peace. Do they just work at their cause part time while working for for-profit companies to make a living? If they work full time at their non profit organization, do they get paid decently? Or, are they just simply rich when they borne and do not need to work? Some of the activists participate in the rally or other special events organized by their respective organization on certain day (not all the time).

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends...Greenpeace itself has 1800 employees, according to Wikipedia. But many of the others who just attend rallies are simply supporters. It's either a "hobby" in their spare time or they have some other source of income (investments, a significant other, etc.).

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

It's like a regular job, then. Is it the same thing if you work for other cause-oriented non-profit organizations?

5. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Working for a cause oriented non-profit or an NGO is still a job, even if there may also be plenty of volunteers around as well.

You just get a nice bonus in doing something you believe in.

B

6. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just because a group is non-profit doesn't mean they don't pay their employees!

And BTW, people who attend Greenpeace rallies are not necessarily employees of Greenpeace any more than people who attend church are church employees.