How do you make layers transparent in Photoshop 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by King Cobra, Aug 4, 2002.

1. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I know in Photoshop 6 you use the magic eraser, but I do not have PS 6 with me. I just have an old copy of PS 4 on my iMac.

And I don't think driving 500 miles to bring the update to Photoshop back from NJ is on my list of things [for my parents] to do.

So, how do you make them transparent?
  2. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    I think PShop 4 you can set the transparancy in the Layers panel (Opacity) but I haven't used it for a while :)

3. thread starter macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, that was it. I tried doing all sorts of wierd :eek: such as fade steps with the paintbrush/pencil, but it didn't work. For some reason I tried the Opacity function yesterday and it looked wierd.

But it works. I'm just so used to the magic eraser with PS6. Is there a way you can make certain parts of layers transparent (just as with the M. Eraser in PS6)?
  4. macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Sure, just use the regular eraser tool in airbrush mode with an opacity of less than 10% and there you go. (assuming you have a background or other layer under that, of course).
  5. thread starter macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    That's cool guys.

I just needed the help for my new avatar. :cool:
  6. macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    you can also use maskes, which is sometimes better than the eraser tools if you want to save whatever else is on the layer