How Do You Make Your Money?

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Jan 16, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

How do you make your money? What do you do?

I work at a bike shop during the summer. They have never been that upfront with me on funds I have earned and keep my hours seporate from everyone else. I have a new boss now and I'm not sure If I will be hired again this summer.

A few years ago my friend and I came up with an idea to start an outdoor lighting biz. The low 12V tree lighting kind. I have installed 4 systems with up to 30 lights all for my parents though. :rolleyes: If you get a rich person and use the nicest lights you can charge up to about $25 per light. And $100 per transformer. So pretty good money for a teenager if you could get a job a week. We didn't do it because we couldn't drive then but now that we are 16 it might be a good job. The only problem is advertising. Flyers don't work that well for such an expensive thing. So I don't know to get the word out.

I had an idea to make some products in the mountain bike world. Maybe get a patent but that could take years to get prosessed and to produce.

I was now thinking of using ebay to sell custom built PCs. List the computer parts and everything and then if someone bids and wins I would order and build the computer. So I would not be out any money if they didn't sell. My friend from the lighting biz said that his friend tried doing that and only made $50 a computer so thats under $10 an hour. So no good.

If I don't get the bike shop job I don't know what I will do for a job. Ill hopefuly just get some job at a market or something. :rolleyes:

What could I do to make money? Invest in an off set printing press? I guess I would be "making" money then. :p

Oh yeah, whats your job?

To anyone that doesn't have a job, I'm sorry.

2. job
    macrumors 68040

job

i make money watching pretty ladies swim....

:p

3. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Back in high school I worked at my parish and at my high school. I was basically a secretary at both. Right now, I'm the IT guy at my parish. I setup web sites, servers, video webcasts....ect. Since I live directly across the street from the church, I'm "always on call". I go over there almost daily to help the secretaries (they're afraid of the computers! :D).

4. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I am an IT guy, work for the Cdn feds, support Windoze all day - enough to make you laugh and cry at the same time......oh yeah!

5. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

6. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: How Do You Make Your Money?

Sorry, don't "make" any money here.

I don't have a good enough printer to do it. :(

7. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm a manager at the local country club in the restuarant and banquet hall sections ... in the summer i'm going to run the cabanana connected to the pool and probably do a bunch of little errands for my boss like i did over this most recent break ... i didn't mind tho, going to pick up a brand new chevy avalanche was fun , and i've learned a lot about being organized and getting all my stuff done.

8. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't. I don't have a job, although I've had a scheme or two. I made some cash selling educational software on eBay (you may have seen the ads on MacRumors). That was a few hundred bucks last summer, before eBay told me to stop.

I don't plan to have a real job until I'm out of grad school. Then I'll be in residency and quasi make money. Then I'll be a doc and be fine. I'd rather focus on studies now than try to earn a few measly bucks that won't mean anything in the long run.

9. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm a janitor.

10. big
    macrumors 65816

big

completely unemployed (except all that freelance work designing houses and towns)....

11. macrumors 6502

I do genomics research. My best summer job was washing dishes in Alaska. Slave away for 8 hours then enjoy the dusk at 2am.

12. macrumors 604

scem0

1) money from parents and grandparents for christmas and birthday.
    2) My parents might give me 4 dollars to get candy at a movie, but I keep the 4 dollars and dont get any candy.
    3) earned $600 this summer re-roofing my house.
    4) various other jobs.
    5) But the most recent thing I've been doing to make money is selling my lunch. I can get $3.00/day for my lunch, and 5 says a week totals to $15.00.

But I don't get an allowance or anything like that.

scem0

13. macrumors regular

discouraged worker

I wish i could find something for me here in Sacramento... being a recent college graduate (read almost 2 years ago) I had an offer rescinded the week before graduation and have been unable to find anything viable since especially since my experience is limited to an internship with the company that eventually rescinded my offer. So I decided that getting my M.A. in economics would help pass time while I did grunt work full time. Unfortunately, my grunt work recently ran out and I'm again in the league of the unemployed (so bored that I finished the Fool's Errand in a couple days). I'm thinking about looking to a baseball town for an internship so I can stay out of my parents' hair for a while. The moral of my story is: I don't care how pretty she is, stay in school until employment is high and you have an offer from a company that isn't facing bankruptcy.

14. macrumors G4

Eh, I had a full time job for about a month or so, was given the company van since I lived the furthest away from work, stayed out too late at a part last Saturday, got a bit tired driving home, fell asleep at the wheel and crashed it into the siderail, about 15 minutes from my house.

So needless to say I'm broke right now and am living on reserves, may have to sell my 900Mhz iBook if I don't get a job soon....

15. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

vniow - Get a friggin' job and keep your iBook!

I'm still in highschool, but I get summerly jobs. I had one last summer and made like a thousand bucks for working a month.

I worked at my tennis tournament down here (its BIG) on the scoreboard, made a thousand bucks in 2 weeks on that!

Then, I sell stuff to my friends from eBay. They want a digital camera that retails for 300$? I sell it for 250 used, and make a hundred bucks hehe.

I made 600$ this week doin crap like that.

16. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

To the unemployed:

I see Burger King and other fast food restuarants ALL THE FRICKIN' TIME with signs that say "help wanted". This is in the state with the second-highest unemployment right now. Find a fast food job if you have to and quit whining.

I don't mean this to tell you that's all that any of you are good for or to be sarcastic, but a job is a job, and there's no shame in working for BK or McDonalds if you need the money. It's called a WORK ETHIC. Nobody will make you continue working at a fast food joint if you finally get a job offer from a company you want to work for.

17. macrumors 6502a

etoiles

haha, just don't buy them any guns or sharp objects, it could backfire...;)

18. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Tech monkey for an accounting firm. I also write and maintain a job and fixed assets database for the construction company that one of the partners in the accounting firm owns.

19. macrumors 65816

iAlan

During university I worked summers in a factory warehouse (the night shift from 5pm to 1am - so still got to spend days in the outdoors playing golf, seeing friends, quick trips to the beach, an hours drive away, etc) I was doing a double major (economics/marketing) and my friends said I was crazy to be working in a factory. Well, I had the money to buy stuff, have a good time and not worry about anything. During university, I worked for the student union and also in the campus coffee shop (which is quite funny given I have never drunk coffee, and never will). It is imortant to note that in Melbourne, Australia most uni student live at home. We don't travel half way across the country to attend a university, just a different educatrion culture really.

Anyway, after graduating, I came to Japan and was teaching English for about a year (again my friends thought I was crazy). After a uear I got into a semi-management possition at a large teaching gripu (they are all over the world and well recognized) I was training teachers on presentation skills, interviewing and managing teacher schedules.

After about 2 years I ended up where I am now - still in Japan and working for a pharmaceutical information/market research company. Basically, I am utilizing my marketing/consulting supporting Japanese pharmaceutical companies with sales/distribution/promotional data for the USA, Europe and Asia markets. It is kind of hard to explain, but the company I work for tracks pharmaceutical sales, what drugs are used (brand/maker), where (city/hospital/clinic/etc), by whom (which doctors) and why (condition/illness).

It is a great job, and a job I never thought I would end up doing (I wanted to get into advertising) but I am very happy to say that all the decisions I have made have led me to where I am now, so no matter how crazy something may seem, never regret anything, learn from bad decisions, leard more from good ones because you will be happy and acheive success if you really want it.

Sorry to sound patronistic, but you younger macrumors members, don't regret working at BK or McD, mowing lawns, cleaning houses, fixing Windows computers (hee hee) etc. It all pays off (no financial pun intend!)

20. macrumors 68040

mac15

At the moment, I don't make money. I'm job hunting :)

21. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I work for CitiGroup in London as a software developer. I've been in the same job since I left University in 2000.

22. macrumors 6502

Boring

Still in college, I feel like I am never going to finish, but I am currently a 9-1-1 dispatcher. Its a decent job, but I work nights, and 12 hour shifts (but I only work 12 days a month.

Pay is ok, about 80K. I live at home with moms.

J

23. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm a lecturer in Thames Valley University in Ealing, London, I lecture in Music Technology, although I spend most of my time teaching main recording studio skills and audio post production.

I also design and build studios, just finishing a ProTools room in NW London. See pic, sorry it's crap it's only my phone camera.

Still recording and mixing too, looks like I might get a shot at the music on a couple of new films coming up, that would be cool.

24. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sorry, forgot to attach the pic...:rolleyes:

25. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Another IT Tech checking in :rolleyes:, I'm 1st and 2nd line support for a large US bank :eek: