How do you MUTE the starting sound?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iKwak, Aug 24, 2004.

1. iKwak macrumors member

Did anyone successfully mute their Apple starting sound for their iBook?
    Besides muting the volume before you turn off the apple, I like to find out other method in muting the starting sound.

How to? Freeware?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can always dump a mute apple script in the shut down items, and a script to turn the volume to your normal setting in the start up items.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

<putting on dunce cap>
    How do I edit shutdown items?
    <starts taking off dunce cap, decides to leave it on...>

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...have a look at this and at this - could be what you are after....oh yeah!

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The capability is most likely still there (it's mentioned in the Applescript release notes for OS X), don't know how to do it myself.

6. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

Although this probably won't effect the majority of you, I thouht I'd pass along this trivia..

Your account needs to be an Administrator account to effect the system volume. Non-administrator accounts can effect the volume for their current session, but it will reset to the system volume when they logout.

I work in a company where people have shared accounts/home directories and only the IT people are administrators on the box. It took some research to figure out why volume levels weren't sticking past the current session...

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This piece seems to contain useful info on how to do it yourself... haven't tried it yet myself.

8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Here is a random thread that I found useful... thanks for the links duffman. No more annoyingly loud startup chime for me.

9. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I read that holding down the mute button during start up will mute the sound (this from Mac OS X the missing manual).

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yes, this works for me. It's F3 on my Powerbook (not sure if it's F3 on every Apple keyboard).

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, it's not F3 on every keyboard. For example, on my Pro Keyboard, it's a separate key (and F3 doesn't cause muting). In addition, I think it was F5 on my iBook.

12. el greenerino macrumors regular

Not to be judgemental but muting your mac before you turn it off so it remains muted when you turn it on works perfectly and is quite logical.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

That works for me.

14. brevhead macrumors newbie

tis what i do too

also, if i've plugged something in to the headphone slot on my ibook its silent as it trys to throw the sound through that

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's what I do with my MDD or 20th when I don't want it waking the whole building. Plug in a pair of headphones for a few seconds after start-up...