How do you pass the time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phillipjfry, Jan 12, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Its exactly two weeks until I make my first order in a series of Apple purchase, starting with a 24'' iMac +30gb ipod. Everyday at work is spent fighting the enemy that is boredom. Although MR does dull the pain of boredom, it doesn't rid of it.
    How do you all fight the long wait before an Apple purchase/delivery?
    It seems almost blasphemist to ask, but what other Mac/Apple related sites do you read to keep on the up and up?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Are you really that bored at work? I can't remember when the last time I was bored a work. It never stops here. You must have a Great job to have nothing to do except surf the net :D

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Flash games, talk with people on Adium, read Wikipedia, use Meebo if the admins block IM apps. Buy a DS/PSP and bring that to work. I'm sure you can think of something to do.

4. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Yea my job is about 80% downtime...until something breaks. Then its pretty bad for a few hours, hence the 30gb ipod ;)

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That slow I would bring in a portable DVD player and watch movies

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It's time to start looking for a more interesting job. It never hurts to look. Or look for some project you could do at work even if nobody told you to do it. Best wishes.

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Just do as I do and pass the hours sitting on your arse posting to message boards.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Origami, puzzles, sudoku, learn a new language... there's a million things you can do! I agree with the movie watching part, although I'd personally watch concerts myself ;)

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The first purchase always sucks, subsequent upgrades are better because you already have a machine to fall back on. For everything else I spend time making out with my Monroe-bot :rolleyes:

11. The General macrumors 601

I just pay for fast shipping and make sure I order it on a Monday. :)

While I'm at work I pretty much just read on Slashdot and other messageboards. :rolleyes:

It's a really boring day today. :(

12. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

No thanks :)
    I love my job. It's my first tech job ever and i love it. Pay might be "eh" but I'll put up with boredom and an iPod :D
    Thank you for the ideas
    Hopefully they wont be filtered :(
    I wonder how fast I can get the computer if its shipped on a Friday and i ship it as fast as it can go. If it shows up during the next week, I'll just leave it unopened and spend all weekend playing with it

I stopped doing that for fear of "Electric Gonorreha" :D

13. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

14. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

entry level system administrator before this i was a cart pusher for a grocery store :)

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Wait for? Never done that. Make up mind and down to the Apple Store and pick it up. :)

16. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I would but I really want that Juniper itunes card. I'll be able to pay off each purchase before interest kicks in and I get itunes points :). Plus the only apple store in my state is some odd 45 minutes away from me and they only sell base systems.

17. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I ordered mine right before i took a vacation. So I hardly paid any attention to it. and it was waiting for me to open it right when I got home. :) it really is the only way to go.

18. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you're really that bored and have nothing else to do you could read a book, take an on-line course and learn something new, brush up on your skills, see if your co workers need any help,.....

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

lmao, I'm guessing you were watching the keynote updates last week?

There is no way to speed up time (yet). Thankfully, my 24" iMac is scheduled to come at the latest (I hope) Thursday!

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Once your fingers get sore from refreshing the Fed Ex tracker, you can always clean and organize your workspace.

You could also be going through your old system burning copies of everything
    important and taking time to organize your files, so once you transfer them to your Home Folder, you'll know exactly where everything is.

You can also attend the local Apple Store tutorial classes to learn more about the applications you'll be using.

Visit your mum, clean the gutters, detail your car, put new strings on all your guitars, or start looking into other gear you may need, such as interfaces, back-up storage, mics, preamps, cables, power conditioners, speakers or nearfield monitors, software and so on.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Between posting at MacRumours, eating 3-4 meals a day, sleeping at least 7 hours, and general "grooming", I barely have enough time to fit my PhD thesis into my life anymore.

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm glad university is a distant memory.

Now I can sit and watch the world go by.

FJ :)

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith