OS X How do you play anything on Macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by lightning33, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Oct 27, 2012
    I just looked at the minimum system requirements for about 3 x games (Rome Total War, Civ 4/5, and Splinter Cell Conviction). All of them said that integrated graphics processors are NOT supported. So how does anyone with a MBA or rMBP 13" play anything?
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2006
    H4000 should handle RTW and CIV 4 just fine.

Civ 5.. if you turn down graphic settings it should be playable. SC:Conviction is poor cider port. I imagine it would be unplayable on Intel GPU.
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2012
    Austin Tx
    You would be surprised at how many games you can play well with an HD4000. Borderlands 2 is a recent release that actually plays quite well if you keep the settings at default.

To eliminate the guesswork, head over to GameAgent.com. The MacMatch feature will tell you what games will run on your machine, and you can even set up deal alerts and GameAgent will find the best deals for you on the net.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 27, 2012
    Looking at the min system reqs, they specifically say no support for integrated graphics. How would anyone know what actually works (other than the site someone mentioned)?
  5. macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2009
    "Not supported" != "Doesn't work"

There are many reasons a company will list things as not supported... which basically means, you are on your own, it may or may not work.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 27, 2012
    That's kind of my point. The games I listed say that integrated graphics are NOT supported. The above posters say they work fine. How am I to know what games are good to go or not?
  7. macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2012
    Austin Tx
    It really just depends on the game. For example, both Civ IV and V "support" the HD3000/4000. "Supported" meaning we stand behind the playability of the experience, and will go to great lengths through our support channel to take care of you should you have an issue.

To Doh123's point, there are many unsupported cards or chipsets that will play a given game, its just that we as gamers dont feel comfortable vouching for that experience, and therefor we leave it off the supported list.
  8. macrumors G3

May 5, 2008
    The Misty Mountains
    My wife plays tons of casual games on her 2011 MacBook, many of them via Boot Camp.
  9. edddeduck, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

macrumors 68020

Mar 26, 2004
    For Rome that's incorrect, if you are sure you saw this could you provide a screenshot?

In fact almost EVERY Feral game including more complex ones like Empire Total War supports the HD3000 and HD4000 (and now the HD5000).

We have all the specs on our website here is the one for Rome (note that it does have any cards that are not supported).

As for the comments on why unsupported cards can sometimes play the games Aspyr-Blair said it best.

If we can't guarantee great experience for the entire game (not just the opening level) then we don't say it's supported. That way you know if you meet the min spec then you don't need to worry if it will be playable or not.

10. macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2011
    You can play old games. Or not that intenseive games. I recently played Bioshock (2006), Limbo and Spore with great graphics performance.
  11. macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, UK
    My MBA rips through a lot of things I really didn't think it would.

Hell even my 2009 white MacBook plays black and white 2 with decent FPS :D
  12. macrumors 68020

Mar 26, 2004
    We do spend quite a while optimising games for low end machines like the MBA glad to see you all enjoy the results!
  13. macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    How do I play anything on a MacBook?...quite well, actually. Awesomenauts plays very well on my 2006 MacBook with a GMA 950. Older games like System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Ghost Recon, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and FreeSpace 2 play perfectly on my Mac (all with some tweaking of course), either through Wineskin/CrossOver or F/OSS ports (in the case of Freespace 2).

In fact, between the advancement of WINE, cheap sales at places like GamersGate/GOG, and bundles like Indie Royale and Humble Indie Bundle, I actually have too many games to play...

What more people need to realize is that games that are AAA-big-budget-OMGWTF-graphics != exclusively good gaming experiences. I think some of what we saw at the XBox One E3 event is good enough proof of this.
  14. macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2013
    If you are even remotely aware of gaming, you'll realise that MacBooks are NOT meant for that purpose. With Playstation and Xbox releasing next gen consoles, and nvidia releasing next gen graphics cards, it would be foolhardy to even attempt to play recent games on MacBooks. Save your keyboard, buy a console.
  15. macrumors 68000

May 17, 2012
    Amen and very well said. Many people seem to think that if you don't have some mythical Windows box that is actually much better than most Windows gamers have (see Steam hardware survey) then your system is no good for gaming, etc. That as you just pointed out is baloney.
  16. tgi
    macrumors 65816

Aug 29, 2012
    When playing games on OS X, is it a must to use Windows / Boot Camp? I understand it provides better performance, but can you get by without it? Does any games run games natively on OS X without installing Windows?
  17. macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    I play Civ 4 and Civ 5 on my rMBP 13" with no problems at all. I don't know what you're reading but it's clearly wrong.
  18. macrumors 68020

Mar 26, 2004

Here is a list of native Mac games we developed and you can buy right now.