Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huskerwr38

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I have a lot of pdf that I want to read on my iphone, how do you put them on the iphone? I don't see an option where you can sync them through itunes.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
You're right, you can't sync them through iTunes. Place the PDF in an email as an attachment and send it to your email and it will stay in your inbox until you decide to move it or delete it from your email server.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
or you can use an App Store program called File Magnet. I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks like it is worth every penny (it is $5)

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
or you can use an App Store program called File Magnet. I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks like it is worth every penny (it is $5)

I bought File Magnet - transferring the files can be somewhat bothersome (somehow the phone doesn't connect with the desktop connection well - takes several minutes until the connection works, transfers are very slow). But once it works, it does the job.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
I use File Magnet for this and don't seem to have any problem connecting at all. And it is much easier than emailing them to yourself and then having to search through your emails.

@ SFStateStudent - how have you managed a $50 a month app habit and a) not bought File Magnet and b) the app store has barely been open a month? :)

shoolie

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
If you have a mac use stanza, sometimes it will not correctly break up the pdf into chapters/paragraphs but it's been the best I've found so far.

They just updated stanza to 1.1 so maybe some of those issues have been resolved but it's a great app either way, and it's free.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Yup, I just can't see adding another app to my $50 a month app buying habit, when my email server can provide something for free... then again, that's me.:cool:

I bought it because I traveled to Finland this summer and wanted my e-tickets etc. on the phone. E-Mail's not an option considering that I can't connect to the mail server abroad due to horrendous data roaming charges.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I bought it because I traveled to Finland this summer and wanted my e-tickets etc. on the phone. E-Mail's not an option considering that I can't connect to the mail server abroad due to horrendous data roaming charges.

Good point. I'm restricted to CONUS, so even in Hawaii, my email servers are good to go... Those roaming data charges are horrendous! :eek:

mhtahir

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Just Download files lite

Go to app store download files lite, its to easy to transfer big file to your iphone through your browser

try it.

thanks

Tucker34

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2006
Instead of signing up to things like Dropbox or buying apps, you can easily sync PDF files in itunes to be used in iBooks

Simply go to file > add to library

Choose your pdf and then when its added to itunes, right click and select 'get info'. You'll want to make sure the media type is set to 'book' and click ok

Sync your iphone and job done, itll be on ibooks

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Isn't iBooks supposed to have PDF functionality and the ability to save PDFs to the bookshelf? (iBookshelf? :p)

Edit: nevermind. Looks like Tucker just beat me to it!

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I have a lot of pdf that I want to read on my iphone, how do you put them on the iphone? I don't see an option where you can sync them through itunes.

Yes, use the free Dropbox service and free app - and then in the Dropbox app, make sure you select the PDFs as favourites, because favourites are pulled to your phone for offline access so you won't need data roaming to view them.

(like all the other Dropbox links here, that's my referral code which gets us both an additional free 250mb storage)

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You can just drag and drop your PDFs into iTunes if you have many of them. Then sync your phone and then you can find them in iBooks.

Another handy feature is when you open a PDF from a link in Safari, you are given a button to open it in iBooks. I absolutely love this feature as you now don't even need to sync with iTunes if you can find the PDF online.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
wth are you guys talking about you can sync PDF's in iTunes. Just go to the Books page of your iPhone and drag and drop.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Email the PDF to yourself. Then from the email you can save it into iBooks app for viewing at anytime. I was also able to save a PDF from a website on the iPhone to iBooks.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Drag and drop into iTunes. It should show up in iBooks app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.