How do you rate iPod Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DCapple, Mar 18, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    Many rumors says that according to consumers Hi-fi is quite dissapointing if your going to look it with all the apple released products... According to Consumer Reports Hi-Fi didn't match the audio quality of the best-sounding (and lower-priced) iPod boomboxes from the past.
    If you are a wisse consumer what will be the great factor when buying a product...economy? or quality? :confused:
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2005
    i don't really like the ipod hifi because i 've got a better stereo already. anyway, i feel that the ipod hifi is too expensive. if it was $150 or at max $200, it might be a good buy.
  3. macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Sound quality is more than satisfactory for me, but the design falls flat.
  4. Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    Have not heard one yet but I like the design a lot. You can get me one for Christmas.
  5. macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Those holiday wish lists get started earlier each year. I'll put your name down and we'll have to wait for Santa to decide during December. :)
  6. macrumors member

May 11, 2004
    i dont like the hi-fi ,first even though you can have the iPod docked all the time it keeps on charging the iPod battery when you dont it and this over time will wreck the life of the iPod battery.

why dont apple design the iPod so once charged and plugged in the mains socket it uses main power and not the battery as later down the road we will need to replace the iPod battery.

Also, ive read in places that the frequenies levels on the hi-fi suck too.
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    You would have heard many complaints in reviews if this were the case.

Having the iPod docked in the iPod Hi-Fi doesn't affect the battery life of the iPod. Here is a page made by Apple that explains how the iPod battery gradually loses its capacity to hold charge over time: Battery Info

The iPod Hi-Fi will not affect the iPod battery's capacity because it doesn't make the iPod use its battery, it only charges it. Once the iPod battery is fully charged, the iPod continues to run off the power supplied by the AC adapter of the iPod Hi-Fi, leaving the iPod battery unaffected (and fully charged).
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    in the apple store regent stret, they have one by the doors at the moment. you can pretty well hear it all over the store, its pretty neat.....but, i wouldnt buy one, as my £60 creative itrigues are more than up to the task:D

9. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    I listened to one in my local Apple Store & thought it was fine, though it's difficult to really assess sound quality in such a noisy location.
    However, when it first came out & I read the description, I must confess that I was underwhelmed, especially for the price.
    The Consumer Reports review is also reason for concern in my mind.

I think if I was in the market for an expensive set of iPod speakers, I would be looking primarily at the Klipsch iGroove or the Bose SoundDock.
  10. macrumors 68040

I would give it Five out of Five for sound quality.
    Two out of Five for price.
  11. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I bought one and I must say I'm extremely dissapointed. The sound quality of the Hi-Fi is of a lower quality than my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. I'm taking mine back next week. Also, just like the universal dock, the dock on the Hi-Fi does not work with the Apple Remote's menu button. :rolleyes:

Despite Apple's claims, there is practically NO seperation.
  12. macrumors 6502

Dec 27, 2002
  13. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
  14. macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    hmm big....ugly...and they waited waaay to long to release something like this.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    I would rate as fair, but there are better systems out there. I find it better than the Bose dock (I think most are), but not as good as Monitor Audio's i-deck. I-deck has had a reduction in price also.
  16. macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Very flat. Agreed.
  17. macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2006
    I listened at the store the other day... Liked them, but for $225! So I will wait for the price to come down.
  18. macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2005
    New Jersey
    It makes a good doorstop, especially for those pesky heavier doors.
  19. macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2005
    I bought one the other day, and I am extremely happy! I think the thing sounds great! It is a little expensive but comparing it to others at my local Apple store, the Hi-Fi blew the others away. Are there better systems out there? Yes, but some of those systems cost a whole lot more than the Hi-Fi. I give it a 5 out of 5.
  20. macrumors 6502

Dec 27, 2002

"The quality of the Audioengine 5 is apparent from the moment the speakers are removed from the box. Each hand-built cabinet feels incredibly solid and is finished in high-gloss white, encasing a 5-inch custom Kevlar woofer and 20mm silk dome tweeter. With a frequency response rate of 60Hz-22,000Hz, both the materials and the specifications behind the Audioengine 5 bests every other high-end iPod offering, from Bose's SoundDock to Klipsch's iGroove to Tivoli Audio's iSongBook to AltecLansing's inMotion iM7"

"The Bottom Line
    If you're looking for the best sounding stand-alone speaker solution for your iPod, look no further: the Audioengine 5 is second to none. In an increasingly crowded marketplace, Audioengine has managed to bring a decidedly unique offering to the table, one that sees form following function for a change, and without any compromises"

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 27, 2002
    ¡¡¡ WoOoW !!!

The new Mac minis are at Costco in a plastic container ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

... along with the G5 iMacs.

You should have sceen the one that has been on display for a couple of weeks, the LCD is totally blown out.

I think the latest Apple designs might be pretty screwed up because they are building the product to fit into very narrowly defined, totally consumer oriented MASS markets !!!

And I think they are aiming for a certain youth demographic that might not be too sophisticated, maybe people buying there FIRST audio system !?!?!?!

But is this market really big enough to target so specifically.
  22. macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2005
    does the BOSE sound dock work the same way???
  23. macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Jan 6, 2005
    So Cal
    compared to the Bose....hands down hi fi wins...
  24. macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    Bose blows. I've found most of the made-for-iPod speakers to be grossly overpriced. All you get out of them is the integrated, compact design. You could do a lot better sound-wise with the dock + 3 piece speaker system for under $200. Or for $300, you can get some really nice studio monitors.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Rating the iPod Hi-Fi

I really want one (just because its from Apple), however, I want to wait to see what they will put in the second revision (wireless built-in?).

Anyways, I got a chance to listen to it at my local CompUSA and the sound is very superb, the only other thing to note is the ability to optically (TosLink [Griffin Technology's Xpress Cable]) stream music (Airport Express).

In a scale of 100, I would give it an 80.