How do you recommend I organize my documents.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hungarianguy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    My wife and I have different logons onto our G5. We would like to share the mp3s, pictures and videos. We would like to contribute to both the mp3s, pictures and videos, download pictures from our camera, download songs make movies etc.

Since by default I cannot access to her files and she cannot access mine. What do you guys reccomend is the best way to organize these things?

Also it seems like when i install some programs she will not have access. for example msn messenger. is there some setting that says by default install programs for all the users?

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Here's my idea:

Create a Shared folder in the Users directory (don't know if there's one by default).

Create your folders for Music, Photos, Movies, etc.

For iTunes then, just go to its preferences and tell it where your music is.

For iPhoto, a little harder. You'll need to change some values in a preference file for iPhoto ( for both of your users so that iPhoto then knows the new file path of your iPhoto library. Note: there are 2 values "RootDirectory" which I'm REALLY sure needs to be changed to the new filepath and "Import Location" of which I'm not entirely sure requires a change.

This plan seems awfully convoluted so I hope that someone on MR fancies a better one. Also, I'm guessing the problem exhibited in MSN messenger is in regards to permissions but I'm no guru on that (not to say I'm a guru on what I've written so far) so I'll leave that to some a wee bit more skilled.

hope I was of some help! :eek: