How do you remember things you need to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We've all got things to remember to do: things to do today, things to do this week, and events to remember thoughout the year. Birthdays, an upcoming party, a PTA meeting, the season premier of a show, when your term paper or library book is due, an event you have tickets for, when your car next needs an oil change, and so on.

How do you keep track of these things? iCal? iPod notes? A PDA? Setting the alarm on your watch? Stickies.app? Real sticky notes on your monitor or refrigerator? Scribbles on your desk calendar?

Does your method work?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

It's interesting, I find that if I write stuff down I remember to do it whether I look at the list again or not.

3. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

numbers
    for some reason, numbers just always stick with me, if i can remember the date or time or something about an event numerically, for some reason it just sticks in my head
    if i cant think of a way to remember something numerically, i'll tell my gf to "remind me to do/go xyz" and whether she tells me or not, i tend to remember it

i have a really bad memory in general (i'll carry on a conversation and five minutes later i'll forget the whole thing sometimes) and it makes me laugh when I used to try the "ribbon" method of tying something around ur finger to remember u to do something, id forget why i put the ribbon around my finger

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have a wife.

She never lets me forget anything :)

I'd be lost without her.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If it's short term (like a very short grocery list or something) I'll just make a note on my phone and set it to display that note in standby. For events, if it's coming up soon, I'll use Stickies, otherwise, for something a few days later, iCal and an alarm (or alarm on my cell phone)

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I sit down. Then I remember. (For those who remember the Bill Cosby bit)

7. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I'm pretty much the same way. Short term stuff I use stickies on my dashboard, but for longer term stuff I use iCal.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

If it's something VERY important then I will not forget. If it's something pretty important that I really, really don't want to do (but have to) then I sticky note it in my iMac AND sticky note it on a real sticky note and put it on my iMac. :) If it's something I just need to get around to then it goes in my "things to do" sticky note in my iMac.

Also, when I am at work and I have to remember to do something later, I will email myself. For work related things (meetings, etc.) then I note/calendar it in my phone.

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I usually remember what I have to do. If it's something "work" related and it's very important, I use OSX's stickies.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Crackberry + Calendar entries = yellow rememberin'

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

For me, it's usually the following:
    Stuff today: my own memory + my watch alarm.

Stuff this week: reminders on the computer and notes in my briefcase.

Long-term stuff: My wall calendar.​
    And so far I've managed to remember each wedding anniversary without any help at all. :)

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I usually forget and then remember an hour after I was supposed to do whatever it was and go "OH SHIZZLE!!!!!!" :p

Really important stuff gets put into the calendar on my cell phone, which beeps at me a few minutes in advance. :)

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I leave handwritten notes on my desk for myself, make events in my PDA, use iCal, make sticky notes in Dashboard, and mark events on an actual calendar in my home, and still manage to consistantly forget and/or miss most meetings, appointments, etc.

I only seem to remember things I care about, regardless of whether or not I use any type of reminder system. Things like office meetings, invoice due dates, and returning business-related phone calls don't usually make the cut. :rolleyes:

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

For recurring events like birthdays, bills due, etc. I use iCal.

For things we need at the store or things I want to get done in the next day or two, I write it down on a pad of paper.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I just keep remembering every night after everything has closed who I was supposed to call about what. This continues until I remember to do what needs to be done or the next occurrence of what I need to do comes up. Then the cycle repeats.

I do have one alarm on the first of every month for my dog's heart worm medication, but currently that's it.

And of course there is the wife as well...

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

most things are either on a hand written list sitting on my desk or a post-it note stuck to the chin of my imac..........but if I have to remember to take something with me on my way out of the apartment in the morning, I'll lean something against the door as a reminder

17. hotboiled macrumors member

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm a compulsive list maker. Loads of the bloody things, written down in my notebook.

Low-tech perhaps, but it works well enough for me.

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I write lists on my hand. Then I wash my hands and wash off the lists. Then I rewrite the lists.

Works pretty good, as I'm constantly forced to remember what I'm washing away.

Currently:

ACT
    Return Tray
    Grading

20. hqsbud macrumors member

A solution I've been using for about a year now is the Kinkless GTD system. It's a free OmniOutliner Professional template (so you do have to pay for OmniOutliner Professional itself). You enter your tasks, due dates, and their context, and you get a list of things from which to choose the next activity based on its due date, priority, context, things like that.

It's based on David Allen's GTD system. I've only given his book a cursory read, and I was still able to use Kinkless GTD without problems.

There's talk of a standalone version of this system coming, so I'm not sure of the support status of this system. But their web site has an active and helpful community. I found it works well out of the "box" so I haven't needed any support so far.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    More than a few days in advance and I make a note in iCal (if at home) or on my phone (if out) and they all merrily synch together.

I'm useless at using calendars as To Do Lists. For those, I tend to just write the key tasks down on a piece of paper and keep it hand. In my bag for personal stuff and on my desk for office things.

22. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Outlook, Exchange Server + Outlook Web Access & Windows Mobile.
    (Would it be anything else?) ;-)

I also use Goodlink.

Leopard Server intrigues me for the future.

24. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I carry around a planner, and I enter all of the information in iCal, as well.

I keep a grocery list on my refrigerator, as I run low on things I add them to the list so I'll remember to buy them.

I don't currently use a "to do" list for each day, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot next semester.

25. imacintel macrumors 68000