How do you rip DVDs to your Apple Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anti-microsoft, Apr 4, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I've been surfing the web for weeks, googling, searching on websites...
    And you know, I can't find a decent program to rip DVDs to my Mac.
    Do any of you guys know of any good software? (I've tried iSquint and Mactheripper)

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

MacTheRipper is The Ripper for OS X. There are a few others, but in my experience, they all pale in comparision with MTR. What exactly has been the problem with MTR?

You might also try HandBrake - http://handbrake.m0k.org/

3. monty77 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with Mactheripper? I use it to rip and then use Handbrake to convert if required.

Cheers,
    Adam

4. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

My problem with MTR is that I start ripping and after 2mins of ripping it says that copying DVDs is illegal and stopps rippin at 25mins.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Complete BS

EDIT: What version of MTR are you apparently using?

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Mine has never said anything of the sort. It only says this at the end when it says something like "bomberman says don't steal dvd's you don't own"

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Use Handbrake. It rips and converts the DVD to an MPEG-4 file all in one step.

8. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

If mediafork will work I use that, if Not I use the latest version of Mac The Ripper and then if need be I use DVD2ONEx to clean it up.

9. sensorineural macrumors newbie

What exactly is the problem?

I've used MTR 2.6 and 3.0) and have been very satisfied, especially with 3.0, which is easier to use, is more effective and seems faster (though I haven't actually tested its speed). I used it in combo with Toast 9.0.2 and couldn't be happier. I have but one complaint: a donation is requested, but no info on how to make it is given!

10. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

11. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

ya I personally use Mac the Ripper, it works great for just about everything. I too have been wanting to get 3.0, but the whole $$$ thing is keeping me where I am.

When I cannot get something with MTR, I use DVDFab 5 for Windows under Parallels, it is a much better program than MTR, however, it is Windows only and is not Free by the normal avenues ;)

I do wish Toast wasn't so anal about the copyrights, as there seems to be no decent way to shrink DVDs to size in OSX with Toast being all self-righteous. Also, anyone else here having problems with handbrake not reading DVDs anymore?