Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shopsmart99

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The New version of TextEdit for Mountain Lion is totally ****ed Up,
How do you roll back to the old version,

first of all, you have to click twice to open a new document!

then when you go to Save As, it defaults to iCloud!
----Like i wanna store my personal **** on somebody else's server..!

totally sucks! I need the old version of Text Edit.. Thanks

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
The New version of TextEdit for Mountain Lion is totally ****ed Up,
How do you roll back to the old version,

first of all, you have to click twice to open a new document!

then when you go to Save As, it defaults to iCloud!
----Like i wanna store my personal **** on somebody else's server..!

totally sucks! I need the old version of Text Edit.. Thanks

What do you mean by click twice to open a new document?

Also you can change the default save location to be local instead of iCloud.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120820003211714

Also how do 1 extra click in two places make the app ******** up?

Infinitarian

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Agreed, Textedit is one of the many casualties of post-Jobs updates. It used to be a low-bandwidth application that opened a document instantly, putting it at your disposal for whatever whim you need it for. Need to write down a phone number real quick? Got a quick idea you feel like jotting down? It presented itself as readily as a notebook on your desk. Now it's as slow to open as Pages, literally! (I timed it!) Where's Apple's good old minimalism? I only updated to Lion because of compatibility issues. If not I would've stuck with the real, Stevian Apple.

FrankL1263

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, it sucks. I have an .rtf file with colors to keep my mind aligned. I convert to text for computer input. No"save as" as in the old textedit, so I save, and the .rtf file is gone! So I go to backup and recover it, open, and convert to plain text and watch the .rtf file disappear from my directory. Sucks. And another thing, I have a text file, I open it, modify it. I might want to modify the original, and then save my opened file to another file using "save as". Forget it, the original is gone, it now contains the modified text. What is with "revert changes" instead of "don't save"? does it read in the file on disk and then save it? Why not just "don't save" and then just.... don't save? And replace - what happened to find next? I do the replacement, I want to see that it's correctly done before I find the next instance. New text edit just jumps to the next instance. SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. They need to stop hiring 10th graders to "upgrade" their software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.