How do you "Save as" with apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jaeshellz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. jaeshellz macrumors member

hey i switched to apple a few months ago wit a beautiful 12 inch g4pb which i love to death!!! mac is sooo much better but my question is how do u "right click" for example if something says "right click and save as" how can I do that?

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

I guess you are using the one-button Apple mouse. Keep the Control key pressed while clicking on object. Will bring up a menu to allow you to "Save as.." among other things.

St Soichiro

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You could always buy a two-button mouse if control-click doesn't suit you.

Umm, how is it that you have been using a Mac for a few months and never ran into this issue until now?

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If you are like me, and you get tired of control-clicking, and really like the use of your second mouse button, you can always get an external mouse. I nearly always use a two button mouse. Especially when doing graphics work. It's no Wacom tablet (taking donations, PM me), but it offers far more precision than the built-in track pad.

5. jaeshellz thread starter macrumors member

aight thanx guys, i didn't know about that. i always had this question but never posted it till now powermac thanx for ya help though. APPLE iz HOT!

6. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

...for people coming from the PC side, that is. They were forced to learn the two-button way, simply because that's what dominates the PC world.

For beginners, one-button is better.

And some just like the "feel" of the stock mouse... I sure do. I use my stock white "Apple Mouse" (white, not pro, came with my iMac G4 from this summer) and love it. In fact I prefer it over my three-button optical Logitech.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Isn't this more of a personal preference. How can you say one-button is better for beginers? What is the difference if they learn control-click or right-click?

9. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I use a mx 510 logitech 8 button mouse and it is the best mouse i ever owned.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you option-click, then the target will automatically be downloaded to your default download folder, eliminating the need to ctrl-click and pick a location.

11. iceTrX macrumors regular

Agreed. Its painful to use a computer without the thumb buttons and the cruise control (you will never use the scroll wheel again!... except to scroll faster through long documents).

12. mms macrumors 6502a

The reason that it seems that two-buttoned mice are better is that we are technically proficient people able to use it to our advantage. Looking from the point of view of a beginner to computing, which most people here on this forum are not, I'm sure that one button will be much easier. I know that I have taught people that had continuous problems remembering which button did what, and remembering which to use for what. A one button mouse should be enough for most people anyways, since most of the commands can either be accessed from the menu bar or the keyboard as well. Besides, even if Apple did ship a stock two-button/scroll wheel mouse, I'm sure that most of the people here would still be complaining (about not having 50 buttons like the fancier ones). Bottom line if you want one get one yourself, if not you can use the stock one just fine.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Also, if you're trying to get an object (like an image, perhaps), you needn't save it... just drag-and-drop it from the webpage to your desktop, or any open windows. You can even drop between applications, for instance you could drop an image directly onto a Photoshop canvas.

paul

14. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

to back up the posters who said its easier for beginners: i love the apple one button mouse, and i switched from windows. the only reason i no longer use the stock apple mouse is that i've integrated expose into the way i use my computer (i mapped fn9-11 to my logitech's mouse's extra buttons)

15. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

i keep seeing some web pages saying to hold the mouse button. Was this just a feature in OS 9?

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, you used to be able to bring up contextual menus just by clicking and holding. I don't know for sure why they did away with it, I probably try to do this out of habit at least once a month...

paul

17. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

sorry to tread on this thread's toes, but do any applescript type things still provide this feature?

18. jaeshellz thread starter macrumors member

wow thanx alot for the feedback guys. this board really shows a brotha alot of love. I appreciate all the info fam. thanx again.