How do you secure your laptop?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Kwyjibo, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    With this being the year of the laptop I figured all of us Apple Laptop owners shoudl discuss how we secure our precious machines. I'm going away to school next year and i'm quite cautious getting ready. I have the kensignton lock when its on my desk. I've also included several easter eggs on my machine as was suggested in an article i read. On my login screen below the osx logo i have my name and phone number in case its lost or stolen. I have my name in the background. I'm now pondering other things to prove ownership or find it in the event of theft. I've yet to find any good software to track it and i'd rather not use a service. So how do you guys protect your laptop, software, hardware or hired Goons?
  2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I never let it out of my hot little hands... :D

No, I just be very careful to watch it. while I have it with me. I never let it out of my sight and make sure not to leave it lying around in it's case.
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i also don't let it out of my sight when i leave the house w/ it. i'd recommend you get renters insurance; it's saved my butt a few times.
  4. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    Re: How do you secure your laptop?

can you post the link to this article?
  5. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    sorry it was a while ago. i don't think i have the link.
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Kensington cable lock. It isn't much, but it is at least a deterrent.
  7. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    i have a pitbull chained to it. no, i used a Zero Halliburton case and never let it out of my site.
  8. Pablo macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2003
    One of the (few) things I miss from my Dell Inspiron is the BIOS password.

With this enabled, a stolen computer cannot be used or reformatted (possible, but very difficult for even most computer enthusiasts). Although not a deterrent, it makes it more likely to be recovered.

Add an encrypted virtual drive for sensitive information (calendar, financial, etc) and you really don't have to worry if it does get stolen (aside from the financial concerns).

I didn't have a laptop in college, and now that I'm out in the 'real world', my Powerbook is either at home, or in my hands/under the seat in front of me when I'm travelling.

I do like the built-in cable lock slot in the PB - every little bit helps...and the most important deterrent is making it unattractive to the casual thief. No matter what security measures you use, if someone really wants your laptop, they'll get it. You can only make it more difficult for them so they'll move on to the next opportunity.
  9. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    hm, flashing the bios, or just reseting it by puting the jumpers to the reset position, power on, power of, set the jumpers back, and everything is gone in the bios.
    or just take out the battery for 10 minutes, if there is one on it.
    back to the topic, honestly i don t have an idea of how to protect it. perhaps take a desert everywhere you go :) no, ok than just don t leave it alone, that should be enough.
  10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
  11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    In general, I treat my computer like musician treats their instrument- it never leaves my side, at least that was during my first years of college, and that was over a decade ago.

1.) Don’t advertise that you have a computer.
    Choose a good non-computer bag. Get a good sleeve and insert. Hold on tight, just never completely let your guard down.
    2.) Don’t leave your computer out. A lock slot is good, but remember a thief is probably looking for quick cash, they don't care if they damage your computer.
    3.) Use a registry service and UV ink to mark your computer. Include your address, and add marks in "hidden" locations. UV inks and light can be found at the Discovery store and at art stores, especially the ones that sell rubber stamps.
    4.) Get a "disposable" computer for high-risk situations. If your on a field trip to the 4 corners, it would make sense to pick up something like a QuickPad for taking notes and composing papers in the wilds. The same holds true if you’re traveling. If you can't afford to have your computer stolen, then get some sort of cheap back up, even if its a Handspring with fold out keyboard.
    5.) Your call on this one: Their are some services out their that offer programs that track your computers use. Should it get stolen, the software covertly broadcasts the users IP, and hopefully over time the police get enough information to catch the thief. But if they format the drive its worthless.

Now for what I have experienced. Twice I have had somebody try to steal a computer of mine wile I was at the x-ray counter at an airport. Twice they got away, but I saved the bags and the computers. A bright bag, like that red one, is easier to find. Also, a dormitory is not safe, neither is an apartment. So take your chances their, if you can lock it up, do. This isn’t fool proof. I had a speed-freak of a former friend break into my car and steal 2 portable printers to help his habit. (The HP sucked ink and was bulky. Suck loss, but not that bad) I’m not saying don’t trust anybody, but just protect your assets as best you can.

Treat your laptop like a tool instead of a top and that will at least mentally set both yourself and others to respect it.

This all said, I just travled with the Boblbee Megalopolsis and it was worth every penny when traveling in south east asia. I already stood out at six-foot tall, so I figure what the hell. It protected my computer and managed to save it even when submerged, because of the airpocket inside. Very cool and safe if your bycycling with your laptop.
  12. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    i have to say, i got a kensington cable lock thing too, but i never use it. i watch it very carefully in public, or entrust it to one of my good friends. i haven't been anywhere where i really worried about getting it stolen.
  13. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    thanks Eniregnat. i actually already have a timbuk2 bags but i may get a new 1 when thery release the new computer bags
  14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Regarding the programs that track the laptop after its stolen, even if the thief DID format the laptop the program would still be there, otherwise there would be no point in using that kind of product.

There are a service in the UK i had some interest in that offered such a service and the software couldn't be formatted away.
    In this one case a man had a laptop stolen and the thief was using it, the program updated itself via the web and knew it was stolen so it gave a message to the theif that it would reboot the computer or something until that person gave the machine back. At the same time, it gave its IP whenever it detected itself on the net to hte police.

Good but i couldn't afford it.
  15. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    haha, bios password, crack that baby open and pull the cmos battery out for 5 seconds and all your settings are back to default. so much for security.

16. Sakino macrumors member

Jan 7, 2003
    I remember seeing a program on apple's website that actually send information to an email account when the computer logs on to the internet?
    It send an ip address and other information.
    I remember them saying its impossible to delete with out the password, and impossible to wipe from the memory when formatting?

Anyone know the name of this program?