Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I use a cheap electrical razor, it works a treat and i avoid cuts etc....I have tried shaving with razors but they just make my skin tender also i am not a big fan of very close shaves which razors give,

Shadow

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jsw said:
I also shave in the shower, with no lather or mirror. I get my face wet first thing, then shave at the end - works best for me. Saves time over separate shower/shave, and makes for a cleaner sink.

I shave against the grain below the jaw line, and with it above - i.e., I always shave towards my jaw line.

Ditto.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I haven't shaved in a while (working on a beard) However, sometimes I just get an electric trimmer out and trim, because sometimes when I shave with a razor and the hair grows back it gets irratated if I don't use aftershave (which I often forget).

However, when I do shave with a razor I usually shave upwards to my chin and down to my chin from above it. I'll also shave a couple stroke's with my jaw line from each side meeting in the middle of my chin. Seems to work the best for me. As to taken a shower, simply placing a warm face clothe over your face will give you the same result as a shower, and is what I'll normally do. I'll shower after shaving usually. Equipment wise I use a gel that turns into a cream, and I have a Mach 3. I've tried a few other razors, but prefer the Mach 3. When I was younger I'd borrow my Dad's electric razor, but it was always a pain, and using a normal razor is much quicker and I've managed to cut myself more with an electric. I can't think of the last time I've nicked myself with a manual razor.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
mac-er said:
The question is...

would any man on here get his facial hair treated with a laser so he'd never have to shave again? And admit it.

Dear God YES!

Well, not all of it...

Just the bottom inch or so on my neck... just to bring it above my Adam's apple. I'd be over the moon if I never had to shave across my Adam's apple again...

No more critical blood loss at shave-time! :D

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
im still at the cut myself to ribbons and dont do a good job stage...:D maybe I should wake up and get cofee so that I can actually see. Naaa

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Bubbasteve said:
I'm working the Mach 3 Turbo Vibrating Razor... but I might have to make the bold jump to four blades.... yes, the Schick Quatro

But the Quatro only has a puny FOUR blades!!! The Gillette Fusion has 5 plus a single trimmer blade!!

http://www.gillette.com/men/index_fusion.htm

I want to try it since I like trying new stuff like that, so far i've had zero luck finding them anywhere though.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Is there any other way?

Attachments

• B0002TNEX4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    B0002TNEX4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 52

IanF0729

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2005
Washington, DC.
When I was younger I could use a cheap straight razor with no problems. As I matured, though I started having problems shaving with or against the grain. It turned out that my skin was super sensitive. So I moved to the shower, which still works well, although I really prefer using an electric razor. I use the Norelco 8140XL and could not have been happier with it. After a lag phase where you wished you hadn't spent the $80 on it it's wonderful. Of course it doesn't get as close, but it's better than walking around looking like you have acne issues.

Just remember to clean out the chamber!

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Better add my 2 cents and the my question...

Shave every three-four days, always with the grain or across it. It seems to get close enough, except for the neck line, where I absolutely cannot go against the grain. Across is the best I can get and I still get some irritation. Always after a shower, using Mach3 and gillette gel, and then some Simple moisturiser afterwards. I've also got a slightly masochistic side, where I like to pluck the hairs that aren't quite shaved on my neck line :eek: :eek:

So the Q: how many shaves can you get out of a typical Mack3 blade? I only seem to manage three, but I wonder if this is because I leave it so long between shaves and the hair grows coarser (I need a few strokes sometimes to get it all).

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I too taught myself to shave at around 13. I used always used a wet shave. I'd go with the grain first all over. Then i'd go against the grain to get an ice and close shave. For the last year though i've swithced over to an electric. It's that Philips HQ8890 from the James Bond film, Die Another Day( Yes i'm incredibly brand driven). It can be kinda hard to use around the neck at times but overall it gives a very close shave. Still as with all wet shave to electric transitions, it took around 3 weeks for my skin to adapt.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
only electric so far... never really tried wet shaving

i'm using some sort of philishave but the thing needs a replacement ... was the cheapest one and lasted about 7-8 years... time to replace the thing

here at home i use a braun which is i guess as old and no problems so far

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
-Shower
-Splash face with warm water
-Apply King of Shaves Gel or Anthony Logistics Shave Cream and work into lather
-Shave with grain with Schick Quattro Power (cheeks, upper lip, then chin)
-Rinse with warm water
-Wash face with Men-U Ultra Concentrated face wash (all you need is 1/2 to 1 pump)
-Rinse with cold water
-Pat Dry
-Apply Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturizer.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
displaced said:
Yup. And my local Tesco never has replacement blades for the Mach 3 in stock. They're always sold out.

They're back! I finally got some today and it was so nice having a clean shave for once. I don't have that post-shaving headache from blood loss too. :)

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
This is 100% true.

I started shaving when I was 10. Ever since, I just use a regular razor without any shaving cream right before I take a shower.

EzzieIcicle

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
oximoron said:
I have a huge dilemna!!!! For years, I've been shaving using Menthol shaving cream. My preferred brand is Noxzema Protective Shave, Menthol which comes in a blue can. It has that awesome "cool mentholated" feeling on your face after you shave. If I can't find that, I use Barbasol. Barbasol is allright, but it's not as "cool" and mentholly as Noxzema.

My problem is this: Now I can't find Noxzema Menthol, and I understand it's been discontinued. Grrrrrrr!!!! Does anyone know where I can get menthol shaving cream that has such an effect? I need my skin to have that awesomely cool blast of menthol feel after I shave, and it seems there's nothing out there to use. HELP!!!!!!!

Noxzema protective shave menthol has not been discontinued, at least not in Europe. It is still sold in the UK and Italy. I live in Canada, and a guy from the UK was selling a new can on eBay, so I bought one. It only took nine days to arrive! The price was very reasonable, too. So, check eBay from time to time. It is also sold on several UK-based drugstore-type websites, too. Here is the listing for Noxzema protective shave menthol right from P&G UK's (manufacturer) website.

http://www.uk.pg.com/products/products/noxzema.html

Here are a couple of sites that sell it:

http://www.allhealth-info.com/shared/product.asp?id=34316
http://italiasalute.leonardo.it/shopping/modello.asp?id=133150

jamone80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
So Cal
used to shave with a razor in two steps. first, i do a "light" shave with the grain. then, i re-lather and do another "light" shave but against the grain. that gave me a close shave but i dont use a razor anymore. it just seemed to leave me skin a little raw.

now i use a norelco and you have to shave in circles. its convenient but by the end of the day, a little stubble starts to show.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I just shave dry with a cheapo BIC disposable razor against the grain. I taught myself how to, and I've never had any trouble at all - in fact, I've never even cut myself with a razor. I hate doing it though, as it always fires up my acne.

Thank goodness I can stop shaving in three or four months. The end of private school (and its dumb rules against facial hair) is coming soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.