How Do You Show Off Your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by czeluff, Feb 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I've had my C2D MBP since they were released. I'm so accustomed to all of my mbp's great features, I know i'm leaving stuff out to show people. What are some "cool" things to show your friends and family who are thinking of switching?

(this list can include osx features, as well as hardware features)

1. iSight Camera
    2. Backlit keys
    3. Bootcamp/Parallels
    4. Magnetic Power Cord
    5. amazing touchpad
    6. Front Row w/remote
    7. Motion Sensor (via MacSaber)
    8. Spotlight (though less impressive w/Vista)
    9. Widgets (though less impressive w/Vista)

Please help me compile a list!

cz

2. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Open lots of windows (videos especially) and use Exposé to show all windows.

3. macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Bring it to work and use it in our PC only office. :cool:

4. macrumors 68000

pianoman

what's so great about the touchpad?

5. macrumors member

^^ The fact that everyone is like, "yeah, but it only has one mouse button", so you just scroll down the page, 2 finger tap, ctrl+2finger scroll for zoom.. shuts them up:)

anyway, I basically just do everything I want or need to be doing. the fact that they all get done at the same time speaks for itself. matlab, photoshop, itunes, word, parrallels, etc etc etc.. oh, and virtue desktop set up with the light sensor to keep what I'm doing relatively organized... and it just looks good :D
    when I'm done I just close the lid in the middle of everything.. it has really good 'sleep' functionality.. let alone mac functionality, my windows runs better on my mac better than it does on a pc. when I put it to sleep when its in the middle of processing data with origin on parallels, I just wake it up and it calmly keeps going..

6. macrumors 6502a

smueboy

2 finger scroll.

7. Guest

shecky

i am too busy using mine to make a living to show it off :)

8. macrumors 68020

As PC user and scheduled to be a switcher in June....

Expose, Dashboard, Keynote, iWeb, Spotlight...every time I watch a keynote back, they all impress me.

Alternatively just tell someone to try Vista...as a life long PC user, trying Vista in my local PC World Vista has tipped the balance to make me switch to OSX.

Doug

9. macrumors 65816

Running Quake 4 and Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. Show them that you MBP pwns their machines.

As for mac, I play AVI files to show people that you can play AVI files on mac. Also tricking outy your adium makes people ask you what client you use for AIM, iChat is also good enough to get people. Girls think its cute that your messages come up bubbles.

Also play a quicktime video, minimize it and show people you can watch the video on the dock, unlike vista where its doesnt show it to you live on the start bar.

Other than that, you listed everything already.

10. macrumors 68000

e12a

When your Mac is the only computer (out of all windows machines) on the floor that can run Rainbow Six: Vegas, let alone at a playable frame rate.

which reminds me i should see if the guy downstairs with an MBP would like to play.

Windows users have a fascination with Photo Booth.

11. macrumors 68000

pianoman

i enjoy using the 2 finger scroll feature as much as the next guy but it's not like other companies don't have a similar feature built into their touchpads. my ThinkPad had scrolling features built into the trackpad and my friend's Dell does, too.

12. macrumors regular

What I can't understand is that there are several version of Vista and to get the full one you have to fork over so much cash for it!?!?!

13. macrumors 6502a

how to impress people with your Mac

The wallpaper did it for me...

Oh, and the goregous Dock :) :apple:

14. macrumors regular

smacbook
    And if you have delicious library use the isight to scan games and movies.

15. macrumors 6502a

Cybix

i just get my MBP out of it's case and people are amazed. the machine just looks hot, even when it's closed :)

16. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I just remembered another: Show them the underside. Seriously, how do PC manufacturers make the bottom of their laptops so ugly?!

17. macrumors G4

daneoni

It shows itself off usually whilst i'm using it someone goes "wow, how did you/does it do that?...."

18. macrumors 6502a

I like to show off QuickSilver. Pretty useful app. Can go to / run / email any program or doc with just a few keystrokes.

- James

19. macrumors 6502a

swwack91

open a gagillion different programs then watch a movie in quicktime and show 'em that the video continues to play seamlessly and if you slide the quicktime window around... it slides like butter

mmmm, MBP butter :p

20. macrumors 6502

1. Put it in an extremely clear box and set it in the middle of the workroom on a platform.

2. Sit back in a comfortable spot to watch the onlookers

3. Keep some glass cleaner near by.

That is all you need to do to show off your MBP. Make sure to get the glass strong enough so it doesn't break when people run into it.

21. macrumors 68020

phungy

I have a Macbook but ditto to your post. :)

22. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Just using it at my school gets me "Sweet laptop!" and such, but it has also got several people to switch. The thing that impresses people the most is the fantastic design of the laptop and after that the very pretty interface. People are really impressed by Exposé, Dashboard, spotlight, the Dock and even some people have said that the MacBook Pro has the best keyboard ever and I quite agree.

23. macrumors 68000

student_trap

you can do a lot of tings, and usually just the design of the thing makes people go 'woah', but for me there are two things...

software based, it has to be front row...it just looks amazing

and

hardware based, the battery indicator light of my powerbook or macbook pro...its all in the little touches!

24. macrumors member

Get a new Sprint EX720 expresscard; Apple has new drivers now for it in a new software update. Dazzle them with wicked fast net speeds. My old Sprint A900 phone which I used as a modem got like 540 Kps download speed; the new EX720 with Rev A EVDO gets me 900 Kps in the same location. Of course it can go even faster depending on your location.

25. macrumors member

And the keyword "Similar"

The keyword here, "similar". I hate the scrollpad on the my thinkpad. First off, the touchpad is tiny compared to my iBook. So, when you couple that with an annoying scroll pad on the right and bottom it gets even smaller. Then, there is that occasional accidental movement of the mouse which runs into the scroll and suddenly, your screen jumps. That is where it gets annoying.