How do you sleep?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Apr 4, 2006.

?

How do you sleep?

1. On your side

34.7%
  2. Fetal Position

29.3%
  3. On your back

17.3%
  4. Face Down

18.7%
  1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

This spawned out of the other thread about sleeping, but since everyone's room is set up differently, it really doesn't matter. (like this does, I know) but if you sleep on your back, fetal position, side, or face down is supposed to me different things. :cool:

[​IMG]

Turns there are discovered and surveyed results about this.

# The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.

This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

# Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

# The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

# Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

# Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

# Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

I sleep on my side, but I am trying to only sleep on my back because it is supposed to be best for your back and keep you from back problems down the road. And, in an attempt to do that, I made it my new year's resolution this year. I know, award for dorkiest resolution...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I start out in the fetal position, but end up on my back somehow. I snore like a monster. :D

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I need a multiple option... since it depends what mood I'm in and who is in the bed with me...;)

4. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I start out on my back, but sometimes I sleep on my side. Since getting our Select Comfort bed going to sleep is heaven.

But I snore, too. :D

EDIT: I'm a soldier/starfish/fetus. The hubby is a soldier... only on his stomach. They don't have a name for his position. He looks like he's on a skeleton race coarse (if you can picture that), with his head facing forward (chin on his pillow), and his arms by his side with the palms facing up. Very weird position. Apparently done it since he was very little. I just don't see how it could be comfortable.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I sleep on my side...and sometimes on my back....can't sleep on my stomach(choke myself out)

Bless

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i agree. i often fall asleep one way, wake up in the middle of the night in a second then wake up in the morning in a third! i move so much in my sleep i leave my sheets completely untucked at the foot so they can move around with me!

7. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

I guess soldier position here, except my hands rest over my chest. Almost vampire like... hmmm.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I switch between featus/yearner, soldier and sometimes freefaller for 20 to 240 minutes before I fall asleep.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Having looked at the new pictures and descriptions, I'd say I'm probably mostly a yearner...

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Fetal position if sleeping alone, if not then on my back while to other person sleeps in the fetal position

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'm a Freefaller, but don't criticize me for it. :p

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

o_O What kind of picture is that?

I mostly sleep in the fetal position. But I change all the time. My body is twisted when laying down it's wierd. Like I'll have 1 leg's front thigh laying on the bed, the other leg, usuallly propped up on a pillow. My upper body on it's side, and my arms either out in front of me, or one behind my back. It's wierd.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

On the rare occaision I do make it to sleep, I usually end up in freefall

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That sounds like how I sleep. One leg on its front, the other twisted up on its side, I lay on my side, one arm in front of my face, the other, behind my back.

e

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've just checked with the missus, and apparently I'm a Starfish. Who'd have thought?

18. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I'm a freefaller!!
    I dont think there are alot of people who sleep in this position.

19. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Yearner, reporting in...I wouldn't say I'm slow to make up my mind. Typically I figure out what I want in a snap. :rolleyes:

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Now I do actually sleep long enough I start off face down and I'll probably go through all of those positions.

21. turbopants macrumors regular

22. Sogo macrumors 6502

wow...well i have somewhat of a fetal-yearner-freefaller with hands down not up type sleep. I sometimes sleep like a log because my bed hugs the wall and for some reason i like the crapness of being inbetween the bed and the wall...

anywho...

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Another freefaller here... the only way to sleep... ;)

Though I sleep to the other side most of the time, with my right hand ear on the pillow. This is because I've had rings in my left ear since I was 14, and never bother taking it out before going to bed, so sleeping on that ear/side is mostly painful... :(

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I have pals who wear earrings who are religious about taking them out since they're painful to sleep on. They're always astonished that I don't - regardless of whether they're rings or studs, there must be something about where my piercing is that means that I don't get jabbed.

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For short afternoon naps on couches and such I am a Foetus sleeper. Except my legs are in the up position and not down like in the picture.

At night I start out in either the Soldier or Starfish. Then I twist and turn. I can't stay in the Starfish position for to long as my arms start to go numb.